Chapter 7: Gossip Girl

[Simone]

"You sly dog, never mentioned you could sing," Roger exclaimed as we entered the Taylors' house.

Freddie, being Freddie, insisted on auditioning right then and there when Brian asked. He never misses a chance to shine, which is something I admire about him. He's always true to himself and his ambitions.

"I'm sorry that I'm too humble, dear. And besides, you wouldn't have taken me so seriously!"

"Well, not with those teeth, mate," Roger quipped, only himself finding it amusing, eliciting disapproving glances from Brian and me. Freddie sheepishly covered his mouth with his lips, and I shot Roger a warning look.

"Rog, what the fuck?" Brian scolded him.

"Sorry," Roger looked down on his feet.

"Extra teeth means more range, Rog. I understand why you'd drop out of dentistry," Freddie retorted with a smirk. "You might not be meant for it and that's alright."

"Carry on, Fred," Brian encouraged him with a smile.

Freddie decided to choose a song that was familiar to me because Brian sang it to me during the picnic. It was a band's original. His performance was brimming with energy, much like his personality. His confidence carried him through the song with finesse.

Yesterday my life was in ruin
Now today I know what I'm doing
Gotta feeling I should be doing all right
Doing all right

With my peripheral vision, I couldn't help but notice Roger holding back a chuckle. I was confused though. Freddie did sound remarkably good.

Where will I be this time tomorrow
Jump in joy or sinking in sorrow
Anyway I should be doing all right
Doing all right

Brian gave me an approving look, accompanied by the typical guitarist's sour face - that expression they make when they hear impressive guitar playing. I felt my eyebrows raise in surprise at his approval, especially compared to Roger, whose reactions were quite unreadable, although he was visibly struggling not to laugh.

When Freddie finished the second chorus, he stopped with a big grin, observing all of our reactions one by one. "How did I do, dears? Speechless?"

"I don't know, guys. I think he deserves the spot," I chimed in, stirring up the conversation.

"I agree," Brian shrugged looking at Roger.

"Can we have a moment alone?" Roger gestured to Brian, leading him outside and closing the door behind them. Freddie remained composed, casually inspecting his black-painted fingernails.

I stuck one of my ears at the door, trying to eavesdrop on their conversation in curiosity.

"What do you mean, he's very good?" Roger exclaimed. "He sounded like a bleating sheep back there!" he snickered.

"Well, it wasn't perfect but I see the potential, Rog," Brian defended Freddie. "I think that energy and confidence will take him far," Brian paused for a moment, then added thoughtfully, "I'm just saying, it's somewhat unfair that you're expecting him to be perfect when we're all just at our starting points."

Returning to Freddie's side, I noticed his nonchalant demeanor despite the discussion outside. Soon enough, Brian and Roger barged back in.

"Those in favor of Freddie joining the band, raise a hand," Brian announced, lifting his hand immediately. Freddie and I followed suit while Roger hesitated. "Well, there you have it. We win, you're wrong," Brian grinned proudly. "Freddie, welcome to the band!"