Chapter 16: Here Goes Nothing

[The photo shows the clothes the three girls bought in that one part hehe. Also potentially triggering content ahead!]

***

[Simone]

After a seemingly endless five-hour journey, we finally arrived in London. 

"Welcome to our humble abode, ladies," Freddie announced proudly, gesturing towards the building. "This way leads to mine and Roger's flat, and to the right is Brian Harold May's. And Deacy, just leave your trunks here for now while we have lunch."

We decided to pick up some takeout on our way to Barnes, where Freddie and Roger shared a flat. Exhausted from the journey, we opted for a cozy meal indoors instead of dining al fresco. I couldn't wait to indulge in the comforting offerings of Mr. L's Kitchen, a favorite haunt of broke college students. Oh, how I missed that place. I fondly remembered their garlic butter shrimp and rice, a dish that always hit the spot for me.

"Freddie earned his degree in graphic art and design in Ealing Art College. But we met back when Brian and I were in our previous band, Smile, and Freddie would always, always be attending our gigs," Roger shared to the two girls in between bites of his teriyaki chicken. 

"He would always be meeting us after the gig and be like, 'You're good but you should do this, do that'. And I kept thinking, 'Who is this guy?'" Brian added, making us laugh.

"But we never had an idea he sings at all, until Simone told us. Well, she told Brian and that's how it started," Roger continued. 

"Do you have plans recording songs at all?" I curiously asked while attempting to peel my shrimps. I'm not some culinary expert but I hate it when shrimps are cooked with their shells. I'd read that it enhances the flavor, but god forbid I lose my mind trying to eat.

"It's bloody expensive!" Freddie exclaimed, his shoulders slumping. "And half the time, you have to pay just to get on the damn lineup."

"Would you like some help with that, love?" a soft, angelic voice from heavens above whispered from beside me. Obviously, it could only be one person.

I know it sounds silly. But his offer, so simple yet so thoughtful, stirred something within me. That was literally the sweetest and most intimate thing anyone has ever asked me. As I met his gaze, a rush of warmth flooded through me, tingling with the sensation of his proximity.

"Yes, please. I'm starving," I whispered back, offering him my utensils.

"And even when they do pay, it's peanuts," Brian shook his head, taking my utensils to peel the shrimps.

"How much are you getting from this gig, then?" Stella asked. "Must be huge considering you had to go..."

As everyone else's voices faded into the background, Freddie's gaze locked with mine from across the table, causing me to furrow my brows. "What?" I mouthed silently.

He looked at me and Brian alternately, his eyes slightly widening. With a puzzled expression, I watched as he mouthed something back. I couldn't grasp it, prompting me to furrow my brows even more. He repeated the gesture.

"Huh?" I inadvertently spoke too loudly, drawing the attention of everyone at the table. I glanced at them, then quickly composed myself.

"Oh, sorry, dears. Simone was just offering me some of her shrimp," Freddie explained with a forced chuckle.

"Should I give him some?" Brian leaned closer, his gaze meeting mine. 

"Oh, no. I'm good," Freddie declined.