Chapter 3: Visitor

[Simone]

"Are you going to be alright, Mum?" I asked gently after settling her down in bed and making sure she was comfortable after feeding her. She simply nodded, indicating that she was okay. I quickly left a peck on her cheek and grabbed my bag. Luna gave me goodbye kisses as well before I left the house.

Yesterday turned out to be the busiest day of my work life so far. I've never had that many students come into the clinic since I started working there. Despite the hectic pace, I genuinely enjoy pediatric nursing. I've always considered specializing in it, but I also wanted to start working right away after finishing my studies. Working with children can be quite stressful at times, but despite the challenges, I find my job here to be quite rewarding. For instance, I made a new friend yesterday-Brian!

Brian asked if I could call him by his first name instead of Mr. May. He just found it awkward given that we're only one year apart in age. He's quite the gentleman. We had a brief conversation yesterday while walking home, and I discovered that he's basically a genius. He kept insisting that he wasn't but I rather find that the way he talks was the most intelligent-sounding diction I've ever heard. It was a refreshing change from Nurse Joanne, who often talks about or judges my personal life. Sometimes, I just need a moment to disconnect whenever she starts talking.

"But you know, at your age, I already held a high position here in Southwell.", she bragged while we were cleaning up some sick off the bedroom floor.

That's because you were the only nurse employed. "Oh, really?"

"Yes, and I had my son too.", she smirked. "Anyway, my husband originally wanted me to stay at home and do every chore while taking care of our son. He said, 'well, women are supposed to be in the kitchen' and I said, 'Peter, my mum didn't send me to nursing school to be your maid!'", she giggled.

Oh, okay, she's actually kind of boss.

I heard the main clinic door open from inside the bedroom. Nurse Joanne asked me to check who it was, so I stepped out.. "Oh-, hi!"

"Hey, Simone," he smiled and waved. "Are you by yourself?" I shook my head.

"What brings you here, Brian?"

"Oh, Mr. May!" Nurse Joanne got out of the room. Brian smiled at her in response.

"Uh...head. I mean, my head," he placed a hand over his head and it sank a portion of his fluffy hair down. "I-it hurts," he stammered.

I walked over to the nurses' station to retrieve the record book and handed it to him. "How would you describe the pain, and when did it start?" I inquired, trying to gather more information to assist him.

"Uhm... I think just this morning?" he was stuttering a little bit. "And uh, it's like...here?" he pointed at the left side of his head. "The pain is pulsating... or throbbing, I suppose."

"Hmm, do you feel anything else?" He shook his head while handing me the record book he had just signed. I quickly went over the medicine cabinet and popped the tablet into a tiny plastic cup.Grabbing a cup of water, I turned on the faucet to fill it. As the water flowed, I noticed him standing there stiff as a pole, nervously chewing his lower lip. "Why do you look tad nervous?", I turned the tap off and walk towards him. "Have something going on today?

I handed him the cup of water and his medication. "I-I'm not," he insisted.

"Oh... okay, take this."

He shakily took the two cups from me, his hands brushing against my fingers. He gulped down the contents of each cup and handed them back to me. The intense yet slight shaking of his hands caused him to miss mine by a fraction, making the cups stumble. Fortunately, my reflexes were of the speed of light, that I managed to catch them quick.