Chapter 5: It's Getting Late

[Simone]

"Whatcha think about my makeup?" I teased, batting my lashes playfully at Freddie.

He took a moment to observe, then replied, "Hmm, I think a touch of eyeliner would complement your look perfectly, darling." With a knowing smile, he handed me the eyeliner from my table.

He had always pointed out my "striking resemblance" to Irene Tsu with Maylia Fong's nose, except with a much sweeter and softer facial structure.

After finishing my makeup, Freddie's approving nod signaled it was time to choose an outfit. I showed him a yellow dress, but he suggested something else that would match my makeup better.

"It's beautiful but it doesn't really go perfectly with your makeup," his eyes scanned me for a minute before looking through my closet again. "Ooh! Try this!"

I tried a pair of denim bell bottoms, and a white halter top, which he suggested. It looked amazing, according to Freddie himself. We added a few accessories and some jewelry to complement the outfit, giving it a final touch of elegance and style. Wearing my hair just as usual, I had it the natural way--pin-straight and a middle part. I also grabbed a coat to have on hand in case I got cold while we were out.

"You look absolutely phenomenal, Simone. If he doesn't treat you right," he scoffed. "That's on him, love."

"Why would that matter? It's not a date, is it?"

"It definitely is, sweetie pie," he rolled his eyes. "What man would plan out a cutie patootie picnic for two without the intentions of getting into her pants?" he used a teasing tone as he emphasized cutie patootie.

"Oh, Freddie! Sometimes it's just best to shut up!" I tiptoed while cupping his cheeks. "But honestly, thanks for helping me today. What would I do without you?"

"I don't know, love. But I've been thinking of what I'd do without you later. I might go out tonight, too," he chuckled. "I wanna have a drink, it's Saturday!"

"Oh, you better have your fun tonight!"

I spritzed on some of my favorite vanilla-scented perfume before heading to Mum's room. I had purposely gotten ready early, finishing forty minutes before three o'clock so I could still attend to my tasks of caring for Mum before leaving. I had already bathed her and prepared her liquid diet for the next few hours.

Fortunately, Bea had been sent to her grandparents on her father's side yesterday and would stay there until tomorrow, so I had Alex's blessing to go out for a few hours today.

I twirled in front of Mum to show her my outfit for the day. "What do you think, Mum?"

"You look beautiful, my love," she smiled, teasingly asking, "Who's the very lucky man?"

"Mum, he's just a friend trying to get to know me better. He's a teacher at Southwell. I think he's really nice," I replied.

It was advised by the doctor that my mum should be fed her liquid diet every half to one hour. As I stole a small glance at the clock, I noticed it was only five minutes before Mum's next scheduled feeding time. "Are you hungry, Mum?" I asked playfully, to which she responded with a smile. Without waiting for a verbal response, I grabbed her prepared food and settled by her bedside to begin feeding her.

As I focused on feeding Mum, I heard the main door downstairs open, accompanied by the muffled voices of at least three people. Initially, I recognized Alex and Freddie's voices, but soon I heard additional footsteps approaching, culminating in a gentle knock on Mum's door. Freddie's voice stood out the most among the chatter.