16] Tinkling Secrets

and in her I found my world.

┈┈┈┈․° ♡ °․┈┈┈┈

Seated in the confines of the courtroom, I found myself at the center of a whirlwind of emotions as Jagruti Raghuvanshi, Maithili's mother, strode purposefully in my direction.

"Why are you taking away my daughter-in-law with you?" Her gaze held accusations which were baseless.

I couldn't help but think if she loves Krutisha more than Maithili.

With a steadying breath, I adjusted the folds of my kurta and rose to meet her gaze.

"If you're truly concerned for her well-being, then perhaps you should ensure she remains here," I replied evenly, not disrespecting her in any way. "But I do not believe you have the authority to question my decisions."

A flicker of anger flashed in her eyes, but before she could retort, Randheev Raghuvanshi, intervened. With a subtle shake of his head, he urged his wife to remain silent.

"जाने दो उन्हें," he interjected softly.

(Let them go)

There was a hint of relief in his tone, as if he welcomed the prospect of Maithili's departure.

Seeking refuge from the tension that lingered in the air, I made my way swiftly to Maithili's chamber, acutely aware of the curious gazes that followed my every move.

Before I could fully gather my thoughts, Anush approached me with a furrowed brow.

"Is it wise to take bhabhi with you, Shri?" he asked doubtfully.

Though his question made me a little apprehensive, I met his gaze with a reassuring smile.

"Do not worry, Anush. I will protect her with everything I have," I assured him, my hand coming to rest comfortingly on his shoulder.

Nodding, Anush's expression suddenly brightened with excitement, as he eagerly interjected, "I can't wait to play Holi, Shri! It's going to be so much fun!"

However, I merely shrugged, dismissing his enthusiasm.

"I have no interest in indulging in frivolous festivities devoid of true significance," I declared firmly, as I stood my ground.

Upon hearing my words, Anush's expression contorted with frustration.
"You've never played Holi, not even once. At least for your people, celebrate the festival", he urged.

Maintaining my composure, I met his gaze evenly.

"I have never deterred anyone from participating, Anush" I asserted, arching an eyebrow in silent challenge before delivering my response.

With that, I turned my attention back to Maithili's chamber, my grip on the door slackened as her grandmother's voice reached my ears.

"Jagruti's deepest desire was to see you happy, was it not? It grieves me deeply that I could not prevent Randheev from marrying that woman who bore a striking resemblance to Jagruti. He believed she would shower you with a mother's love, yet she proved to be nothing but a selfish human."