24] The Flames of Sacrifice

WORD COUNT: 12,424.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay. I had a family function to attend, and it was so delightful that I couldn't resist staying away from the festivities, due to which I couldn't update the chapter as planned.

Apni pyari dost ko maaf karenge na?👀

But believe me! This upcoming chapter is going to be an absolute treat.

It's going to tug at your heartstrings and test the very limits of love and devotion.

[Keep your tissues ready and do play this song as you read the chapter🤍]

┈┈┈┈․° ♡ °․┈┈┈┈

and you were all I ever had.

┈┈┈┈․° ♡ °․┈┈┈┈

"Sh.. shri, I... I want to stay," Maithili managed to stammer, her breath hitching with the weight of her emotions.

But as she attempted to voice her desire to remain by my side, her tears fell like silent rain, and I realized that my own tears were not far behind.

I had failed her, and now she was suffering because of it.

The fury and helplessness within me were almost unbearable, but, my fate is a cruel mistress, and she mocks me with the fleeting promise of love, only to snatch it away in the blink of an eye.

Yet, even in the face of such despair, I cannot bear to let her go, for she have become the very essence of my existence, the sole purpose for which I draw breath.

To lose her now would be to consign myself to an eternity of emptiness, a void from which there is no escape.

"I.. I want to li.. live with you.." she whispered, her voice barely audible above the pounding of our hearts.

If only I could, I would have given anything, everything, to spare her even the slightest hint of suffering.

If it meant sacrificing my own life to keep her safe, I would do it without hesitation.

"For you, I want to live."

Her words shattered me more profoundly than any blow, leaving me utterly bereft and helpless.

With each shallow breath she took, I felt my own heart shatter into a million irreparable pieces, and yet, all I could do was weep, knowing that my tears could never mend the wounds she bore.

"And I don't know why, but I can't bear the thought of losing you... of living in a world where you don't exist."

Her each word was a dagger to my soul, reopening wounds that I thought had long since healed.