12: Balita

Ghianna's face was swiftly filled with surprise and confusion.

"Nunong Haikuri?"

The elderly woman's gaze toward Ghianna turned from cold to sharp.

"Goodness." Ghianna murmured to herself.

It happened quickly. Haikuri's staff immediately struck Ghianna's head.

* Smack!*

"You are not really listening to me, Ghianna. I told you to quit that bad habit!" She said angrily.

Ghianna's expression shows the pain of what Haikuri did. She gingerly touched her head, now sporting a prominent red lump.

"Pfft..." Ylmaro couldn't hold back his laughter, and the Punong Polktuga caught wind of it.

She glared at him.

"What is so funny? Have you completed the task I assigned?" Ghianna inquired, irritated.

"Hehe, not yet," Ylmaro mumbled, scratching his neck and lowering his head.

"Just ensure you finish the given task before the day's end. You will be held accountable if anything goes awry," she asserted firmly.

"Yes," the young man promptly replied, while Shika averted her gaze, arms crossed in front of her.

"Sigh."

"Tss,"

"We will be on our way, hehe. Elder Haikuri, we shall take our leave." Ylmaro bid farewell and respectfully bowed to the two esteemed individuals before him. He glanced at the girl, resembling Punong Polktuga.

"Come, Shika." The girl followed him silently, arms still crossed. The two leave the office with awkwardness as the other two gaze at their backs.

"It appears you and your daughter still have not reconciled, Ghianna." Haikuri's expression turned serious.

Ghianna simply sighed and gestured for Nunong Haikuri to take a seat across from her. A cluttered desk separated them, filled with paperwork. She continued to gingerly touch her red lump.

"That girl is a handful. She is so stubborn. I am trying my best to mend things between us, but she always avoids me," she remarked earnestly.

At first, it was not noticeable that Ghianna had a child due to her unique beauty.The two could be mistaken for sisters.

"Let it be, and the time will come when you two will reconcile," Haikuri advised.

Ghianna smiled briefly.

"I too hope for that day to come, when I can be considered Shika's mother again," she said wistfully, showing signs of discomfort from her swollen lump.

Haikuri and Ghianna had a long-standing relationship even before she became Punong Polktuga of the town. They shared a deep bond and understood each other well. The only thing that makes Haikuri angry with her former pet is her smoking habit, which she wants Ghianna to get rid of because of its bad effects on her health.

"Anyways, what did you come for here, Old Hag?" she said casually, leaning back on the chair.

As always, this young lady lacks respect in Haikuri's mind.

She chose to disregard it, accustomed to Ghianna's disrespectful tone. Among those who hold her in high regard, only Ghianna dares to speak to her in such a manner.

"I have an important matter to discuss with you," she stated.

"Could it be related to another attack? War? Or perhaps a monster?" Ghianna asked, crossing her legs and awaiting the old lady's response. Seated with a serious yet slightly bored expression, discussions on attacks and monsters were a regular matter for her as Punong Polktuga.