25: Kwintas

"Alas! My pottery vessels!!! My ceramic containers!! I exerted hard effort to mend and craft them. Now it is all broken! What an unlucky day it is!"

"What happened here?" Shika asked the man, who was gathering broken pots and some intact ones. He was looking at us with tearful eyes. I noticed he had calloused hands and wore frizzy, low-quality clothes.

"My horse... It suddenly lost control and galloped off uncontrollably. The pots and urns that I was transporting toppled over. I was intending to sell them on the day of the festival tomorrow," he explained, kneeling amidst shattered pottery.

Tears welled up as he surveyed the disaster in front of him.

"I have no money left because I used it all in the creation of these pottery items, and my horse is now missing. I am very unlucky today! I cannot return home in this current state...my daughter is still sick."

Poor man

"My horse! My pots! I do not know what to do!" he says. He was obviously very stressed.

Shika walked closer to him and patted his shoulder. "Do not worry. We will help you get your horse back," she assured, helping him up.

Together, we salvaged his goods, while others in yellow attire assisted in cleaning the debris and the overturned carriage.

"Ah, Shika... I'll handle this, Shika. You and Ylmaro should attend to your important duties," I suggested, prompting uncertain glances from them.

Didn't they say that they have some important tasks to do about the festival?

"Eh? Are you sure?? How will you locate his horse without knowing the local roads, Neazhoi?" Shika questioned, arching an eyebrow.

"You've shown me around town in the past days, Shika. I won't lose my way. I can learn the details quickly, you know... It seems that what you're going to do is also important. Let me handle this... I'll ask for help from others if I need it... Trust me...," I said to assure them.

"Are you sure?" Ylmaro asked. I just smiled and nodded.

"Then, let us go first. You are likely aware of where you can go if you need any assistance," Shika said. I nodded again in agreement.

Subsequently, they departed, leaving me behind to assist the poor man.

His name is Ato. While we were repairing his belongings, he shared with me the hardships he had faced since the beginning.

He is a guest here in Bayan ng Pag-asa. In the past, his family used to sell pottery and vases here on a monthly basis, especially during spring or any local festivities. However, he is currently separated from his family because his daughter is unwell and his wife is taking care of her at home. He mentioned that without the mysterious man in black, his horse would not have gone missing.

"A man in black?" I asked with curiosity.

He nodded.

"Indeed, a man dressed in black passed by earlier. He was tall and appeared to be a stranger here. He was wearing a black cloak, so I did not see his face, but his stature and demeanor indicated that he was a man. When he crossed in front of my horse, it abruptly panicked and bolted away. His actions were highly suspicious." 

He drew nearer to me slightly, as though about to communicate something of great importance or sensitivity.

"Take care, young lady. There have been reports of missing beautiful maidens in neighboring villages. A monster has been preying on these maidens, claiming multiple victims. It is elusive, and none of the abducted maidens have survived."

"A monster abducting maidens?" I echoed, surprised by this news.

His voice trembled with fear, and concern was evident on his face. What kind of monster could be targeting maidens in such a way?

"Yes, that is why I did not bring my daughter along today.I feared she might fall prey to the monster," he said with a heavy sigh, crushing his woven hat.

"Fortunately, this town is well-guarded. There have been no reported incidents here. But you should remain cautious, especially being as beautiful as you are," he advised.

Intrigued by Kuya Ato's words, I attempted to smile in appreciation of his concern. However, beneath the facade, I was truly curious and worried. If there truly was a monster hunting maiden, it posed a serious threat that could disrupt the upcoming festivities. I hoped that the guards would ensure the safety of this place to prevent any unfortunate events.

When we finished collecting the still-good items, he thanked me. Among the saved items were pots and vases, though many lay broken or shattered. Kuya Ato said not to worry about it because there is nothing we can do.
It is more important to find his horse immediately because it is said to be an easily frightened and nervous horse. If only he had another horse, he wouldn't use his crazy horse.

I just shook my head at his funny description of his horse. He described it as having a large white scar on its forehead and a comically long face. The horse moved in a peculiar way, reminiscent of a model strutting down a runway.Hahaha, what kind of horse was that? Surely, it can't be used as a war horse because of its funny description.

Night had begun to fall as we located his horse by the bridge, quenching its thirst.

"Thank you for your kindness. I realize you have been assisting me for some time now, yet I still do not know your name. If you do not mind, could you tell it to me?" asked Kuya Ato.

Oh... He's right. We've been conversing for a while, yet I haven't revealed my name till now.

“Oh, my apologies for my rudeness. I am Neazhoi.”

He flashed a genuine smile at me, so I also smiled back at him. Despite his shabby and aged appearance, he seemed like a kind and very caring father.

He took something from his satchel, tied to his belt.

"As a token of my gratitude, I would like you to have this," he expressed while presenting it to me.

I looked at what I was holding now, which was a necklace with a strange pendant. It was white, with unfamiliar symbols encircling it. The round stone was both beautiful and weighty.

"W-just wait." I stopped him.

"Are you sure you're going to give this to me? This thing seems very important. I-I can't accept it—" I attempted to return the necklace, but he declined, urging me to keep it.

"Neazhoi, this is the only way I can repay your kindness. Please accept it; otherwise, I will feel resentful," he insisted.

Why is he giving such a beautiful necklace? It appeared to hold great value and importance.