16: Pergamentos

Neazhoi's POV

"You are incredibly foolish! You are so annoying! It is all thanks to your talkative nature that she is now aware of my actions.!"

"Could you please stop from speaking any further!? And also, I did not mean it. It is unintentional and slipped out without any conscious thought.. You know I will never betray you."

I awoke to the sound of a loud conversation.

"Goodness! You are only coming up with excuses! Your tongue is too loose. Admit that you chickened out again when you faced that person!"

I was surprised to find myself in a different room.

Where am I?

I observed the room, and it seemed someone brought me here. The noise persists as if someone is fighting. I think it's coming from the other room. 

I glanced around my surroundings again. How did I end up here? Who brought me here? The last memory I have is...

I thought for a moment to remember what happened earlier and why I was here.

"Nunong Haikuri." I murmured, remembering the incident in Punong Polktuga's office.

"What should I do now? Now that she is finally aware..."

I tried to get up.

"It is definitely going to be more—"

"Ouch!" I cried out, feeling a sharp pain in my neck.

Why does it hurt so much? What happened?

I held my neck and felt a tender spot that hurt when I pressed it. Suddenly, the other room went silent. They must have heard my scream.

Tss, D*rn it! Nunong Haikuri really left me here. I'm all alone now. Argh! F*ck, why does my neck ache? Like being struck with a hard object.

*knock knock*

I looked at the wall beside my bed when I heard knocking from the other side.

"Are there people over there?" That voice sounded familiar—a man's voice.

"Idiot! Obviously, dogs do not speak in that manner." A woman's irritated voice echoed.

Huh? That woman's voice is also familiar.

"Hey there! You, in the other room..." The tone of her voice reminded me of someone irritating. But it's unlikely that she's the same person.

"We are aware of someone's presence on the other side! Who are you?! Spying on us, huh?! Speak up immediately, unless you want to face a double eye punch!" she boldly threatened, as if provoking someone to a fight.

"Shika, can you please calm down?" I heard the man say. “You're scaring her.”

"Hmp! That is what she can get when she listens to the conversation of someone."

This girl is quite fiery. Their personalities are so alike.

"And why are you even in that room? It is off-limits. How did you even get in?" the feisty girl asks as if she owns this entire house.

Don't get me started, girl. I have a bad day. 

"You know, I have no idea. And don't assume I'm interested in your nonsensical conversation," I replied. Let's see if that doesn't irritate you more.

"You!" and I was correct. The girl gets easily annoyed, just like her.

“What are you—”

"—Ahhhhaha... Is that so?" The woman was interrupted before she could finish speaking by the man.

"Hey! Do not interrupt me—mhfff."

Once again, she was unable to complete her sentence as the man seemed to have covered her mouth to silence her.

"Would—mhfff—let me—"

She sounds like she's trying to say something. She really doesn't want to lose.

"Can you tell me where I am? This is still the Bayan ng Pag-asa, isn't it?" I cut her off before she could finish speaking. I don't have time for arguments.

" Argh!" 

"Huh? You do not know where you are? It sounds like nonsense to me!" remarked the woman, who seemed to have finally broken off from his restraints. I could even hear the man grumbling as if he had been struck.

Would I ask that if I were familiar with this place? Waking up in an unfamiliar place is not something I desire.

"It seems like you are new here. Are you the stranger who was with Nunong Haikuri? Am I correct!?" inquired the man.

Nunong Haikuri...

I remembered once more what happened in Punong Polktuga's office. She was the only person who sheltered me in this place. She was the only person I trusted and took care of me when I was weak.

"Yes." That was my only response.

"Where is Nunong Haikuri now? Why are you not with her?" questioned the woman.

I didn't answer right away. I am at a loss for words. I am unsure why she acted that way. However, what she said was clear to me.

It's for my own good.

But what I don't understand is for what? For what reason? And why should I be left in here? Out of all places, why here in Bayan ng Pag-asa, a place I am unfamiliar with, and even further in the cave? 

I leaned against the wall and took a deep breath.

"She left... alone." 

"Huh!? She left you here!?" His voice was filled with astonishment, as if he too could not believe what he had just heard.

"But why!?" The woman's tone seemed to have calmed down. Maybe they also know Nunong Haikuri; that's why they're reacting that way. 

We looked like crazy people, yelling at each other from opposite sides of the wall just to communicate. Their faces must have been pressed against the wall to hear me clearly, unlike mine, as their voice was too loud, almost reaching the mountain.

"I do not know," I said briefly.

I really do not know why Nunong Haikuri did that. I'm also left confused and alone. 

"Oh, so that is why that room was being cleaned yesterday because someone planned to use it," commented the man.

"Do not worry, Shika is a good neighbor. She only loses her temper occasionally!" I detected a hint of sarcasm in the man's words. I even heard goofy laughter.

"Ouch!" I think the man was hit again. 

"Stop it! Are you mocking me? "Shika, the woman, appears to be upset again.

I heard the man chuckle as if he had not been hit earlier. "My mistake. What I meant was, she's always irritable."

"Always, huh?! Umh!"

"Oi, that hurts!"

"Does it hurt? Or should I do it again?"

Haist... They fought again. Tss, is this what I will hear every day?

Their argument ceased eventually. They probably noticed my silence.

"Um, may I ask about your name? I am Ylmaro, and the person with me and the owner of this room is Shika!" said the man who introduced himself as Ylmaro.

Their voices remind me of people in Ypsistos. They share a similar tone, and the other girl also behaves like her.

I hesitated briefly, pondering whether it was appropriate to reveal my name, particularly since one of them seemed impolite. Introducing myself shouldn't be an issue.
Besides, I will not be staying here for too long. I scoffed mentally at that notion.