33: Du-Eliyos

When I arrived at Shika's house, I found three people talking. Shika was seated on her bed, Ylmaro stood beside her, and Sir Mejan had his back turned towards me.

Shika is doing well and is safe.

"Do you mean I have limited time left?"

My body stiffened upon hearing those words from Shika.

"Little time?"

Their attention immediately shifted toward me. However, I focused solely on Shika, hoping she would clarify what I had just heard.

"What do you mean by having limited time, Shika?"

They all appeared concerned, particularly Ylmaro. It seemed like they were grappling with a significant revelation, and I too began to harbor negative thoughts about what I had overheard.

I quietly took a seat beside Shika's bed. Sir Mejan departed, leaving the three of us in the room. Both Ylmaro and I gazed at Shika, anticipating her response. She bore no injuries or bandages and appeared perfectly healthy, leaving me puzzled as to why she made such a statement.

"You heard correctly, Neazhoi. Mr. Mejan informed me that my days are numbered," she disclosed.

"How did this come to be? Are you unwell?" I inquired, furrowing my brow.

As far as I know, Shika has a strong body. Is she hiding her sickness all this time?

She shook her head, fell silent for a moment, took a deep breath, and fixed her gaze on me.

I felt a sense of unease at that moment. I regarded her earnestly, eagerly awaiting her next words. Sensing the gravity of the situation, I focused intently on her words.

"I have a fairy lineage, Neazhoi," she began.

Fairy? Like actual fairies?

I was unsure how to react. A jolt of surprise coursed through me, yet I struggled to convey it amidst a maelstrom of confusion, concern, and apprehension. I allowed her to proceed with her explanation.

"Through my mother, who possesses half-fairy ancestry, I have inherited a blend of human and fairy blood. This unique composition of blood sustains the life force of all beings in Eyonnios, be they human, animal, plant, or creature," she elaborated.

Life force? So, the vitality of everyone in their realm stems from energy. Does that imply that my existence here is also sustained by energy?

"Due to having more human blood than fairy blood, my energy is imbalanced, resulting in du-eliyos within my body," she revealed.

"Du-eliyos. What is that?"

I asked because I just heard that word.

"Dueliyos is the energy that battles within a being's heart. This knowledge is not common among regular civilians. As you are aware, our heart houses our energy. When a being's energy is imbalanced, dueliyos arises, leading to a conflict where one energy prevails while the other vanishes. This occurrence often affects individuals with mixed blood," Ylmaro responded.

"What happens when the other energy vanishes?" I inquired once more.

There is still so much about this world that remains unknown to me.

"Only a select few possess strong energy within their bodies, while an average person is born with balanced energy. However, in my case of being born with two energy types, I must harmonize them to survive. If I lose one energy, my life will follow," Shika explained.

"What!? So you mean, you can't lose energy?" I asked with a frown. 

"That is correct, Neazhoi. I had to prevent the clash between human and fairy blood within me. But because of my use of magic during battles and summoning my fonanzo, I failed to maintain energy balance, resulting in duelios within me," Shika elaborated.

I am uncertain about what fonanzo means, but that is not the pressing issue at the moment. Could her weakness and chest pain be related to this? From Shika's explanation, dueliyos appear to be a grave concern.