15: Dayo

Punong Polktuga? 

Who's that? 

We entered, and a spacious room unfolded before us, filled with books, papers stacked on top of each other, and peculiar objects on display.

"We are here, Ghianna," Nunong Haikuri announced. 

I gazed at a woman with her back turned towards us, facing a large window that offered a view of the expansive area outside the office. This must be the Ghianna Nunong Haikuri mentioned. She is the only person present in the room.

She slowly faced us, and I saw her beautiful, glass-like complexion. Her lengthy, black hair was adorned with multiple braids, each adorned with different beads. She has a good figure.

She is wearing a red and white dress that expresses all the desire, elegance, and ambition of a confident woman. The dress featured two vertical rows of small holes at the chest, which allow the straps to go through and tighten the dress. It perfectly contours her body and emphasizes the silhouette of her waist and bust. The white sleeves had straps for tightening, and the extended train gave the dress a fairy-like quality. Adorned with multiple ruffles on the white sleeves, the hem transitioned from white at the bottom to red at the top. Perhaps she was around 25 years old.

"Nunong Haikuri." She looked at Nunong Haikuri before turning her gaze to me. Our eyes met, causing my heart to race.

She looked at me strangely. Why do I suddenly feel anxious?

"Nunong Haikuri, who is she?" I inquired pointedly, unable to tear my gaze away from her, and that lady was the same.

Why does she stare at me like that? As if delving into my soul. Am I the only one who senses this, or is that just her usual way of looking at people?

"Neazhoi, this is Ghianna, the Punong Polktuga of the Bayan ng Pag-asa."

Punong Polktuga? Maybe it's about having a higher authority in this place.

"Ghianna, this is Neazhoi," Nunong Haikuri said in the introduction.

Ghianna's expression remained unchanged, displaying a cold face like she's showing that she couldn't be talked to or approached easily. 

"Make your greetings, Neazhoi." I followed Nunong Haikuri's order.

I bowed for a moment, keeping my gaze fixed on her. "Good afternoon, Miss."

She continued to stare at me, or more like glaring? I don't know. I just don't feel okay with this person. 

"Is she the person you are referring to, Old Hag?" I frowned at the way she called Nunong Haikuri.

She called Nunong Haikuri an old hag. Such arrogance and disrespect!

" Yes, indeed, she is." I glanced at Nunong Haikuri, surprised.

Does Nunong Haikuri not mind being addressed in such a manner? She showed no reaction or response.

"I will handle it. You can trust me," she assured, nodding.

Hold on. What is going on? What was the intention behind her words?

I looked back and forth between Punong Polktuga and Nunong Haikuri, utterly perplexed.

What are they hinting at? Is there some undisclosed information involving me?

It appears they have discussed something about me, sparking my curiosity. I feel like she's about to tell something important.

"Neazhoi," Nunong Haikuri called me.

"Yeah?" Nunong Haikuri was looking at me as if she were looking at the sky. 

" From today onwards, you will remain here in the Bayan ng Pagasa. I have some important matters to attend to. Fear not, Ghianna will be by your side." I furrowed my brows at Nunong Haikuri's statement and turned to her, puzzled.

"What?!"

What is happening?

"Why?!... Hold on, you kept mentioning that important matter earlier. What is it, Nunong Haikuri?...And why must I stay here? I am content in the hut. I will return with you. I cannot allow you to leave me here." I affirmed earnestly.

That's why Nunong Haikuri has been behaving strangely since morning, because she plans to abandon me in this town. My fist clenched involuntarily at the mere thought of it.

She shook her head. "I'm sorry, Neazhoi, but you cannot go with me. I have an important task to fulfill. It is for your safety," she calmly stated as she was just leaving some baggage anywhere. 

"Safe from what? From monsters?" I said without a hint of surprise or fear. 

Every time I hear about monsters, I no longer feel fear. The only thing I feel right now is confusion and annoyance.

"I don't care if any f*cking monster attacks me and kills me. I am returning home. I am going home with you!" I insisted.

But her face remained calm. It appears she has made up her mind to abandon me here. That explains her current odd behavior.

But why?

"Nunong Haikuri, why do you have to leave me here? I don't understand you. I will not stay here!... I will return home with you. I don't even know these people. The hut is much safer for me because you're there. How could you decide something without even asking me first? Am I some kind of animal that you could only leave anywhere when you get tired of?"