21: Tandang Puno

"Hey, dog. She would melt if you kept staring at her," Shika said, annoyed. It was only now that I realized Ylmaro had been looking at me for a while.

"Tss, your head is hot again," he said, turning to Shika. "I have been waiting for you here for a while. You know we still have a lot of work to finish," he said, walking away while talking and seeming to just change the subject.

“Tss, just admit that you have a new crush.”

I heard Shika murmur something, but it was too faint to catch. We trailed behind him and arrived at a spacious cottage. With no walls, the place was bustling with people crafting various flower designs like pots, pendants, baskets, hats, necklaces, and more. The vibrant colors and fragrances filled the air.

A peculiar dress caught my attention. I was hanging from the wooden frame. It was crafted from intertwined flowers, vines, and leaves. It was a sight to behold, with flawless flower petals and intricate details. None of the flower petals were damaged, and the work was very beautiful. This is my first time seeing this kind of dress. The straps were delicately braided vines adorned with large pink flowers and pointed green leaves at the bodice. The dress had white fabric attached for long sleeves, designed in a priestly style. The top featured a mix of flowers, vines, and leaves, while the bottom had a prairie hem of white fabric where the flowers were attached and vines were flowing and hanging. It resembled something a fairy would wear.

Could it be worn?

"Beautiful, is it not? Creating the Petalis dress is meticulous and challenging. But if you are interested in learning, I would be happy to teach you, ladies," the elderly woman behind us remarked.

She was holding a long needle the size of my index finger and a green fabric with stitches of flowers.

"I respectfully decline. That would surely be a waste of my time," answered Shika.

The old woman then turned to me with a gentle smile, seemingly anticipating my response. She had a kind, aged look, perhaps in her late fifties.

"You, lovely lady, would you like to give it a try?" she asked.

"Yes, Neazhoi. You could even wear it during the Krishiri Festival. It would suit you perfectly," Ylmaro chimed in.

"Or perhaps on that day, you might resemble a wilted flower," remarked Shika.

"You seem envious because Neazhoi can wear Petalis clothes, unlike you," teased Ylmaro.

"Neazhoi, pay no heed to Shika's words. This attire will undoubtedly draw all eyes towards you if you wear it on the day of the festival. It would not be wilted easily because all the flowers used in here have a magic to preserve them."

Then that gives me one more reason to avoid wearing such attire. I prefer not to attract attention and might skip the event altogether. I'd rather spend my time in my room.

Shika folded her arms and rolled her eyes.

"I do not have the time for such attire, Ylmaro. I would rather wear pants and a sword than a garment that is only uncomfortable and distractive. However, you, resembling a bee, seem to admire those who wear Petalis clothing," she said irritably.

Ylmaro moved closer to her.

"And those flowers need the bee to pollinate them and reproduce their beauty. Is not that right?" he asked, grinning.

* Pak!*

"Ouch!"

Immediately after he finished speaking, Shika swiftly elbowed him in the stomach.

"Stop with those remarks, Ylmaro! You are being bothersome!" she snapped, delivering another blow to his shoulder.

"Why? I did not say anything bad. It is the truth that flowers need the bees as pollinators of their pollen, which helps the cycle of the flowers." was his defense.

We know what he meant earlier about the flowers and bees. I merely shook my head and glanced at the elderly woman.

"It looks beautiful. I don't think I can craft such art like this. How long does it take to learn it?" I asked.

She responded with a smile. "It only takes a minute, and if you are a fast learner before the day ends, half the dress will be finished," she answered.

It may seem simple, as she explained, but I know it requires a certain level of skill. Making the wrong connection between flowers and roots could damage the flower's petals and ruin the whole dress.

"What, Neazhoi? Will you give it a try?" asked Ylmaro, now standing beside me without any sign of stomach pain.

I couldn't answer his question. I was just too captivated by the elder woman's work. That's why I asked the elder woman, but I seem to have lost my mood and interest in learning things. I think I would only waste my time on this kind of stuff.

"No, thank you," I declined, admiring the petals one last time. It's really beautiful. "Tara na," I added, walking ahead of them.

We had moved quite far from where we were before when Ylmaro spoke. We are now positioned across from the flower necklace makers within the cottage.

"What was that word you used earlier? 'Ta..ray... na?' Where did you learn that?" His pronunciation of the word seemed somewhat off, and Shika appeared equally puzzled.

Ahhh Shit! I forgot to refrain from saying such words. 

"Ahh... Tara na means... let's continue our journey or... depart," I explained, hoping that they would not ask further questions.

"Huh? Is that even a word? ," he said with a frown.

"Do not pay attention to that, Ylmaro. Ignorant people would not understand that. Even if Neazhoi explained its meaning for the whole day, you would never understand it," Shika said casually, so Ylmaro quickly looked at her. 

"Are you calling me ignorant?" he asked challengingly.

With a hint of sarcasm, Shika replied, "Oh, did not you know? I thought that was common knowledge for you!"

Damn, are they going to fight again? I'm still between these two. Ylmaro is on my left side, and Shika is on my right side. Do I look like some neutral mediator?

There is a hot-headed one, and there is a talkative one. What a pair! Will I still be able to hear Nefrizane and Thybithiel's nonsense arguments even in this world? 

"You know?" I paused my steps, causing them to halt as well, and I turned to face them.

"That's enough. Stop fighting." They both directed their gazes toward me, yet their faces retained irritation towards each other. I shifted my attention to Ylmaro. "Didn't you mention earlier that you have numerous tasks to attend to?" His demeanor instantly altered, as if he had just recollected something important.

"Oh, indeed! Come on quickly, Shika," Ylmaro said.

They immediately reconciled when I said that because they walked together to where we were going.

"Weirdos," I stated.

We strolled towards the rear of the huts, and I was astounded by the sight of a large, magnificent tree. Its canopy was remarkably vast, providing shade expansive enough to cover ten huts. Nestled amidst the grassy field, the tree was encircled by pellicular pendants. I observed its colossal branches, lush green leaves, and delicate pink blossoms swaying in the crisp breeze. It resembled a captivating tourist spot with its enchanting beauty, almost as if a fairy resided within its midst. The dainty pink flowers exuded the essence of spring, while their petals adorned the ground like a picturesque painting.