29: Tawag ng Kalikasan

He possessed a towering figure, exuding an aura of danger.

Damn it, Neazhoi, who have you encountered?!

"Sino ka?" he asked in a baritone voice.
(Who are you?)

He took a step closer to me, prompting me to step back.

"Sagutin mo ang aking katanungan." he said with a serious tone.
(Answer my question)

His approach continued, and I kept retreating from him. I mentally cursed when I sensed the solid tree behind me.

Trying to compose myself, I glanced to my left, where the light from the ceremony was visible. I need to get back and get help. If I scream for help in front of him, I might be dead before the helpers arrive. I need to escape from him.

I saw him tilt his head as if checking what I was thinking. I bit my lower lip as I set my plan in my mind.

1,... 2,...... 3! ...RUN!

Before I could even move from my spot, a sharp object pressed against my neck, causing me to freeze. A small droplet of liquid trickled down my skin. He was very fast. One wrong move, and the blade would penetrate deeper into my skin.

Double Sh*t!

He's going to kill me! He acted so fast that I didn't even notice.

"Hindi ka makakatakas mula sa akin, Binibini. Ngayon, sagutin mo ang aking katanungan... Bakit mo ako sinusundan?"  he declared, his hand firmly gripping the sharp object against my neck.

(You cannot escape from me, Miss. Now, answer my question... Why are you following me?")

It was clear that he wouldn't hesitate to kill me. I held my breath, looking at his hand holding a sharp object that was now attached to my neck. I shouldn't anger him.

But another thing that makes me curious is his speech. He's speaking the language of Malay fluently. How did he know that word?

You're so stupid, Neazhio! You already have the feeling that this guy is dangerous, but you still follow him here! 

"Tinanong kita." he said impatiently, pressing the knife harder against my neck, causing a sharp pain. He's not fooling around. 
(I am asking you,)

"O-okay, f-fine! Fine! Can y-you first just..."

Does he understand English?

"P-pwede, alisin mo muna tong nakatutok sakin na patalim. Sasagutin kita."
(C-an you take that knife away from me. I will answer you.)

A moment of silence followed. What was going through his mind?

"Hindi ako tatakas... Do you think makakatakas pa ako sa liksi mo?" I rolled my eyes while saying that.
(I will not run away...Do you think I can still escape with your agility?)

I don't know what he's thinking or if he believes what I'm saying. However, I noticed his blade slowly retreating from my neck, and as it finally moved away completely, I let out a gasp of relief.

Sh*t! I almost lost my neck!!!!!

My eyes didn't leave him. You never know when he might launch a sudden attack.

"Nauunawaan mo ako?...Bakit... kakaiba ang iyong pananalita?" he inquired with a hint of curiosity in his deep voice.
(You can understand me?...Why... are you speaking strangely)

Shouldn't I be the one asking that question? He is the first person I have come across who fluently speaks Malay.

" Ahhh... Yes? "

"Ulitin mo ang binigkas mo kanina lamang."
( Repeat your previous statement.)

"P-pardon?"

" Hindi iyan."
(That's not it.)

"That hindi ako makakatakas because you're too fast?"
(That I can't escape because you're too fast?)

Once again, he tilted his head.

"Paano mo nagagawa iyan?... Ang pagsamahin ang makaibang wika?"
(How are you able to do that?... Mixing different languages?)

I was stunned by his question. I can't say that I learned this in my world. Since childhood, I have effortlessly learned the language of the Malays and have been able to put them together.