Ch-11: Orphanage

Aarvi's Pov~

The midday sky stretches out like a vast canvas of azure, adorned with wisps of delicate cirrus clouds, their edges kissed by the sun's radiant warmth. The sun sits high, casting a golden glow across the expanse, while birds glide effortlessly on gentle currents of air, adding to the serene symphony of nature.

"We are here, beta," the auto uncle said, interrupting my reverie.

I disembarked and observed the sign for "We Care" orphanage. With the auto uncle's assistance, I unloaded my bags and made my way into the premises.

Inside, I exchanged greetings with everyone, including Sunita Aunty, the head caretaker of the orphanage.

Sunita Aunty, a kind and dedicated woman, had found solace in caring for these children after her own family had abandoned her following her husband's death.

"How are you, dear?" Sunita Aunty inquired with genuine warmth.

"I'm very well, Aunty. How are you? And where are the little ones?" I responded with equal warmth.

"I'm also well, dear. Your 'cutepies' are all in the backyard," she replied, leading the way.

Upon reaching the backyard, I greeted the children enthusiastically, and they rushed towards me with excitement. Their love and appreciation never failed to overwhelm me.

"Didi, you were supposed to come to meet us last Sunday! But you didn't!"

"Yes, and you missed our school performance selection round!"

"We were all waiting for you!"

Their complaints stirred memories of the missed occasions, but Sunita Aunty's gentle touch on my shoulder brought me back to the present.

" I'm so sorry cutepies! Didi is literally so sorry . But I promise I'll attend the main performance function."

" Promise?" They asked in unison.

" Pakka wala promise !"

With renewed determination, I promised to attend the main performance function, eliciting smiles from the children.

"Now, who wants chocolates and new toys?" I asked, igniting their excitement.

With eager shouts and raised hands, they clamored for the treats.

I enlisted Sunita Aunty's help to have the items brought from the office, ensuring that the children's joy would be promptly delivered.

I was talking with the kids when a worker came and said to Sunita aunty," Madam chote baba log aaye hain ."

And she immediately said to bring them in with a bright smile .

I had no idea who they were .

Sunita aunty turned towards the kids and said , " bacchon Aaj toh bada acha din hai ! Aaj aapki didi bhi aayi hai aur aapke bhaiya log bhi aaye hain!"

The children immediately stood excited and rushed towards the front yard to meet their bhaiya's . The happiness on their faces showed that whoever they are , they're immensely loved by the kids.

I looked around and saw a little boy sitting alone in the corner alone . I don't remember seeing him during the previous visits, perhaps he is new .

It hurts to think about the pain of these Little kids who have been abandoned by their families.

I went to him and crouched down beside him .

" Hi " I said but he didn't reply anything.

I sat in front of him and tried again .

" Hi!"

He looked up at me and signed " leave me alone " .

Oh so he can't speak . I learnt sign language in my school so I understood what he said .

" I'm also alone . Will you also leave me alone?" I asked him making a sad face .

He looked around for the children but the backyard was empty .

Suddenly his eyes widened as if he realised something. He immediately turned towards me with wide eyes and signed again.

" You understood me!!!"

" Yeah I did . Why?" I simply replied.

He signed " I'm surprised because most people don't understand sign language and whenever I sign something, they think I'm a freak. All are dumb that's why they don't even know sign language!" He said with a bored expression.

" Hawww.....Do I look like a dumb to you?" I said dramatically and took out the mirror from my bag and said while looking my face in it .

" But I did my makeup so well . How did you know ?"

Hearing this , he laughed out though it was also silent but I was happy seeing him laughing. A soft smile came on my lips .

" Oh my god! Your laugh is so beautiful! You know the boys in my class laugh like donkey." I said dramatically and this made him laugh more .

" Come on, let's go look what your friends are up to." I said extending my hand to him after he sobered up from the laughing session.

He stood up and looked at my hand then at me back to my hand . Slowly he raised his hand and held three of my fingers with his little hand .

I smiled at him and he reciprocated the smile . We both talked a little while making our way to the front yard. He told me his name is Sarthak , and by his behaviour I understood that he's a little introverted, probably because of his inability to speak.

𝄞

We strolled toward the front yard and spotted several children gathered in a group, conversing, while others frolicked with three other boys.

Though unfamiliar with the trio, I recalled seeing one of them with Rudransh in the auditorium that day.

Observing Krish heading toward the tap attached to the pipe, I couldn't help but smile. He was undeniably endearing but known for his mischief within the group. I couldn't fathom the little one's fascination with water; he seemed to relish spraying others whenever and wherever he could.

Leaning in toward Sarthak, I whispered, "Go join the boys. I'll be right back."

He hesitated, reluctant to release my hand, but eventually complied. Ruffling his hair, I elicited a bright smile from him before turning toward the mischievous Krish.

Careful to tread silently, I snuck up behind Krish just as he reached for the pipe.

Scooping him up, I teased, "Troublemaker!"

His laughter echoed loudly as I tickled him, joining in his infectious amusement. Despite his innocent and jovial nature, I couldn't shake the feeling that his mischievous antics might lead to trouble in the future.

"Stop! S-stop, di ," he gasped between giggles as I finally ceased the tickling assault, holding him close as he caught his breath.

"Starting mischief early this morning, huh?" I teased, arching an eyebrow at him.

He chuckled and planted a kiss on my cheek, a tactic he often employed to evade reprimand.

Smiling, I gently reminded him, "It's chilly out, Krish. Spraying cold water on everyone could make them sick. So, let's refrain from that, okay?"

After pondering my words for a moment, he saluted me with a grin. "Aye, aye, captain!"

Chuckling at his playful response, I planted a kiss on his rosy cheeks before setting him back on his feet.

As I glanced around, I sensed someone's gaze upon me. Turning toward the other children, I noticed them engrossed in their play, while all four boys regarded me intently.

Wait, four boys? My eyes widened as I recognized the unexpected fourth presence.

I hadn't anticipated his presence here.