sleepover

A tiny bit of angst

Grian’s pov:

My eyes fluttered open, the sun's rays peeking above the skyline. I brought my hands up to try and rub the numbness away from my eyes. I stood up and stretched, my wings spreading out the full 15ft. I closed my eyes, basking in the sunrise and the wind rustling in my feathers. Mumbo wouldn’t be up for another hour so I had a bit of time. My wings perked up when I heard a soft gasp from behind me. My wings folded back in and I turned around to find the source of the sound. Hotguy was looking at me in shock and awe, a soft rosy color spread across his face. “What?” he blinked, snapped out of his trance. “I guess I just never realized how beautiful you really are, Grian,” he said.

My face flushed a bright red and I quickly looked down, avoiding eye contact and hoping to hide my face. I paused, what did he just call me?. I looked up shocked and confused as my heart sank. “Excuse me?” he smiled and motioned to my wings. Overnight they had returned to their parroted colors. I dropped to the floor and let my face fall into my hands. “Dammit…” he seemed confused. He sat down next to me and placed a sympathetic hand on my shoulder. “What's wrong? I mean, is it bad for me to know?” I shook my head. “No, I mean… I don't know. I originally hid my identity so it didn’t interfere with my everyday life but then I grew attached to you. I didn’t want you to be disappointed by who I was behind the mask.”

He laughed, making me glare at him. Why was he laughing? “It’s still you with or without the mask. Besides…” he brought his hand up and ruffled his hair before taking off his mask. My eyes widened. “S-Scar?!” he smiled, the smile that brought warmth to my heart. He pulled me into a hug. I sat there, shocked, before hugging him back as tears streamed down my face. I then realized. Hotguy likes Cuteguy. I like Scar. Scar was Hotguy. I was Cuteguy. “You're kidding… This is not Mlb…” he looked at me confused. “What?” “Scar. You like Cuteguy and I like you. Use your brian.” he thought for a moment before the realization punched him in the gut. “OH!” There it is. His face flushed bright red. I stood up and changed my wings back to the black and pink. I walked up to the edge of the building.

“See you tonight Scar” I said, smiling, before jumping off the roof and flying off, back to my apartment. I landed on the balcony and walked in. My wings returned to their natural color and I removed my mask. I headed to my room and changed into a normal outfit. I got ready for the day as Mumbo woke up and followed. We had made plans to meet up with some of his friends since he claimed I needed more friends. There were 4 others and Mumbo told me to invite Scar as well. He wanted to meet him. Gem, Skizz, joel, and impulse were their names. I heard about them a lot from Mumbo but never actually met them. Gem was the youngest but she was fierce. Everyone knew not to get on her bad side. Joel had an ego but was a pretty good person. Impulse and Skizz were best friends and acted like the dads of the group. From what I've heard they sound pretty fun.

It was always just me and Mumbo so I never really had a friend group growing up. I was honestly pretty excited. Sure others may think a group of full grown adults having a sleepover like a group of teenage girls are stupid but i didn’t mind. I was also nervous, what if they didn’t like me. I wanted to make sure to give a good first impression. I chuckled as I was reminded of how I felt on my first day working as a teacher. Mumbo heard me and refocused his attention. “What are you laughing about?” I turned to see him poking his head in my doorway. “Just remembering how I felt on my first day of work.” He stepped in and placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder. “Don’t worry, they’ll love you. Just be yourself "I rolled my eyes in response. “Alright mom” I said jokingly.

He giggled before clearing his throat and putting on his best mother accent. “And clean this room, I don't know how you live like this” I broke into laughter because he was partially right. I had shelves, boxes, and drawers full of random stuff while Mumbo was always organized. I punched him in the shoulder lightly. He smiled. “I’ll wait in the car.” I nodded and finished my hair. Once I was happy with my appearance I got in the car. We picked up Scar along the way. There was an awkward silence between the two of us due to this morning. Once we made it to the house I walked up to the door but before I could ring the doorbell, Mumbo just walked in. We followed him in. I was shocked to find a completely different interior. The outside of the house looked fairly modern but the inside was renovated to be in a japanese style.