Chapter 5

Third Person's Point of View

As Mikha was about to approach the stranger, a uniformed officer stepped forward, their authoritative presence halting her in her tracks.

"Ma'am, please stay back," the officer instructed firmly.

Mikha glanced up at the officer, her brow furrowing with curiosity. "Is everything okay, officer?" Mikha inquired, her concern evident in her voice.

The officer nodded, their expression grave. "We've received reports of suspicious activity in this area," they explained.

"We'll handle this."

Mikha hesitated, but the officer's authoritative stance made it clear that she should comply. She stepped back, her gaze fixed on the stranger who seemed lost and disoriented.

As a med student, she couldn't help but notice the peculiar symptoms: the man's erratic movements, his glassy-eyed stare, and the occasional twitching that suggested something more sinister. It reminded her of the symptoms of rabies she had studied—agitation, confusion, and hydrophobia.

Mikha's heart skipped a beat, her instincts on high alert. "Wait, what kind of activity?" she pressed, her mind racing with possibilities.

The officer hesitated for a moment before responding, but saw Mikha's badge. "There have been sightings of individuals exhibiting erratic behavior, possibly under the influence of drugs or other substances," they revealed, their words sending a shiver down Mikha's spine.

Mikha's mind raced as she processed the officer's words, her concern for the stranger growing with each passing moment. Mikha was about to ask another question when the officer spoke once again, "Don't you worry, Ma'am. We're conducting a thorough search of the area to ensure everyone's safety," they assured her, their gaze scanning the vicinity for any signs of trouble.

Mikha nodded, her resolve strengthening. "I understand. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help," she offered, her determination unwavering.

The officer nodded in gratitude, their appreciation evident in their eyes. "Thank you. We'll handle it from here," they said before turning their attention back to the task at hand.

The officer approached the stranger cautiously. "Sir, are you okay?" he asked, his tone measured and calm. The stranger didn't respond, his eyes glazed over as if he were in a trance. The officer gently took the man's arm, guiding him away from the car.

"Sir, I'm going to help you get to a safe place," the officer said, leading the stranger to a nearby patrol car.

Mikha watched the scene unfold, her heart heavy with a mix of relief and worry. She turned back to Sheena, who was still in the passenger seat, watching with wide eyes.

"Ano sa tingin mo nangyari sa kaniya?" Sheena asked, her voice tinged with concern.

Mikha shook her head, her mind racing. "I don't know, but he was acting really strange. He had some symptoms that looked a lot like rabies."

Sheena's eyes widened further. "Rabies? That's nakakadiri."

Mikha gave Sheena a judging look but shrugged it off because her thoughts lingered on the medical implications. "Yeah, it is. But it looks like he's getting the help he needs, so we're out."

As the officer guided the stranger into the patrol car, another officer approached Mikha's car, tapping on the window. Mikha rolled it down, her expression a mix of curiosity and apprehension.

"Ma'am, I apologize for the disturbance," the officer said politely. "It looks like the man was lost and confused. We'll make sure he gets the care he needs. For your safety, please keep your windows up, especially in heavy traffic."

Mikha nodded, grateful for the advice. "Thank you, officer."

The officer gave a brief nod and moved away, joining his colleague.

Sheena, who had been quiet during the exchange, finally spoke up. "I hope he's okay."

Mikha started the car again, merging back into the flow of traffic. "Me too, Sheena. Me too."

As they drove towards the university, the incident lingered in their minds. Sheena turned to Mikha, breaking the silence. "Thanks for always looking out for me, Mikha."

Mikha smiled, reaching over to give Sheena's hand a reassuring squeeze. "Always, Sheena. In all ways."

-

The traffic finally started moving again, and Mikha drove them to the university, but the incident earlier made them late. As they hurried to their classes, Sheena couldn't shake off the feeling of unease from what they had witnessed.

"Shee, bilisan mo na. Super late na tayo oh," Mikha urged, her tone a mix of worry and irritation. Sheena nodded, picking up her pace.

When they reached the university, Sheena spotted her classmate and close friend, Jhoanna, waiting by the entrance. Jhoanna's expression shifted from boredom to concern as she saw them approaching.

"Hoy, Catacutan! Ano nangyari sa inyo ni Mikha? Bakit na-late kayo?" Jhoanna asked, concern evident in her voice.

"Long story, Jho. May nangyari lang sa daan," Sheena replied, trying to sound casual but failing to hide the lingering worry.

Jhoanna raised an eyebrow but didn't push further. "Okay, basta safe kayo. Tara na, baka masita pa tayo ni Prof."

Meanwhile sa Medical University...

Mikha hurried to her own building, quickly finding her classmate and friend, Stacey, who was with her medtech friend, Maloi. Both of them looked up as Mikha approached, breathless and obviously stressed.

"Girl, late ka na naman. Anong excuse mo this time?" Stacey teased, but her eyes showed genuine curiosity.

"Grabe, Staks. Ang weird ng nangyari. May nakita kaming parang baliw na lalaki sa daan tapos may officer na humarang. Ang sketchy talaga," Mikha recounted, shaking her head.

Maloi raised an eyebrow, "Baliw? Or like may sakit?"

Mikha ignored Maloi's comment, focusing solely on Stacey. "Exactly. As in, he was acting super weird. Parang may rabies symptoms nga eh," Mikha replied, crossing her arms.

Stacey and Maloi exchanged concerned glances. "That's freaky. Ingat kayo, ha? Baka may something na naman," Stacey said, giving Mikha a reassuring pat on the back.

Mikha furrowed her brows, her frustration evident in her tone. "Parang wala kasing nakaupo, Stace. You know, they don't seem to care about the citizens. It's like all they're after is power and money," she elaborated, her voice tinged with a mix of anger and disappointment.

Stacey nodded in understanding, her expression mirroring Mikha's sentiments. "I get what you mean. It's frustrating, but we have to try and focus on what we can do."

Mikha sighed, realizing that Stacey was right. Despite her frustrations, she needed to stay focused on her studies and find ways to make a difference in her own capacity.

"Anyway, let's focus na lang for today's agendas," Mikha said, managing a small smile before turning to Maloi. "And you, Maloi. Bumalik ka na sa class mo. Baka mahuli ka pa ng prof namin."

Maloi's expression shifted to annoyance but nodded anyway. "Fine. See you around, Stacey." She turned and walked away, leaving Mikha and Stacey alone.

Stacey sighed, "Mikha, you really need to try and get along with Maloi."

"Yeah, yeah. Basta, weird lang talaga yung nangyari kanina," Mikha replied, shrugging off the comment about Maloi.

-