Chapter 12

Third Person's Point Of View

Amidst the hustle and bustle of the shopping district, Maloi and Stacey navigated through the crowded sidewalks, their arms laden with bags filled with their latest purchases. Maloi couldn't shake the urge to check her phone, glancing at it intermittently as they walked, much to Stacey's amusement.

"Waiting for a message from your crush, ano?" Stacey teased, nudging Maloi playfully as they walked. "Is Mikha finally replying in the group chat?"

Maloi forced a laugh, not wanting to admit that Stacey's guess was spot on. Instead, she brushed off the comment with a nonchalant shrug, her gaze drifting back to her phone.

As they strolled along, Maloi's attention was suddenly drawn to something rustling in the bushes nearby. Curiosity piqued, she slowed her pace, her eyes fixed on the source of the movement.

Before she could investigate further, however, she felt a sharp bump against her side, nearly knocking her off balance. Annoyance flickered across her features as she turned to confront the person responsible, only to find herself face-to-face with a young woman around her age.

"Hoy, tumingin ka naman sa dinadaanan mo!" Maloi snapped, her irritation clear in her tone.

The woman's brows furrowed in frustration, mirroring Maloi's annoyance. "Excuse me? You're the one who stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, buang ka na ba?"

Before the situation could escalate any further, Stacey swooped in, grabbing Maloi by the arm and pulling her away from the confrontation. "Sorry po," she apologized to the woman, shooting Maloi a reproachful look before steering her away.

Once they were a safe distance from the woman, Stacey turned to Maloi, her expression a mix of exasperation and concern. "Seriously, Maloi? You disappear for a second and you're already getting into arguments na naman?"

Maloi sighed, feeling guilty for causing a scene. "Sorry, I just got distracted. I thought I saw something kanina sa bushes."

Stacey rolled her eyes, her annoyance evident. "You and your distractions. Remind me, saan ka nga ulit pinaglihi?"

Maloi chuckled sheepishly, knowing Stacey was referring to an old superstition about cravings during pregnancy. "I know, I know. Let's just forget about it and keep shopping, okay?"

With a resigned sigh, Stacey nodded, though she couldn't shake the feeling of frustration lingering in the air. As they resumed their shopping excursion, Maloi made a mental note to stay more focused, lest she find herself in another unnecessary confrontation.

Little did she know, just one more step toward the bushes, and she would have been the next victim of the lurking creature that day.

-

Amidst the bustling ambiance of the café, the four friends found solace in the quiet companionship that enveloped them. Mikha sat hunched over her sketchpad, her pencil dancing across the paper as she brought her imagination to life. With each stroke, she poured her thoughts and emotions onto the page, finding a sense of catharsis in the act of creation.

Beside her, Jhoanna sat engrossed in her world puzzle, the intricate pieces forming a map of distant lands and far-off adventures. With each connection she made, she felt a sense of satisfaction, as if she were piecing together the fragments of her own identity.

Across the table, Gwen delved into the pages of Rupi Kaur's "Milk and Honey," her eyes devouring each word with a hunger born of curiosity and longing. Lost in the poet's words, she found herself transported to a world of raw emotion and unfiltered truth, a world where she could lose herself entirely.