Chapter 25

Third Person's Point Of View

The car came to a sudden stop, jostling Colet awake. "Bakit tayo huminto?" she asked, glancing over at Mikha, who was asleep beside her.

Sheena sighed heavily from the driver's seat. "Wala na tayong gas."

Colet's eyes darted to Mikha's arm, noticing the blood seeping through her shirt. It must have been from the struggle with the men earlier.

Sheena got out of the car, surveying their surroundings.

"We need to walk from here. I think around 1km na lang ang layo according sa mapa," Sheena said.

Colet nodded, then gently shook Mikha's shoulder. "Mikha, kailangan na nating maglakad."

Mikha's eyes fluttered open, guilt clouding her features as she saw Colet. She tried to stand on her own, brushing off Colet's offered hand.

Once outside, the three of them continued on foot.

The sight of lifeless bodies scattered around made their steps hesitant and heavy. Colet led the way, her eyes sharp and alert.

Sheena kept glancing at Mikha, who was holding her bleeding arm. Sheena pulled out the handkerchief Colet had given her the previous night. "Oh, ito. Itali muna natin jan para hindi masyadong dumugo. It will help stop the flow."

Mikha hesitated but took the handkerchief, tying it around her arm.

After about twenty minutes of walking, they finally arrived at the entrance of their destination.

Personnel quickly approached them, but their demeanor was more strict this time. They eyed Mikha's bleeding arm suspiciously, assuming she might have been bitten.

A military officer raised his gun, aiming it at the three of them. Colet responded immediately, raising her own gun. "Let us in. Hindi kami infected or anything na iniisip niyo. Injured lang siya," she said, referring to Mikha.

Colet then pulled out an ID from her pocket, flashing it at the officers. The sight of the ID made the soldiers lower their weapons. Sheena and Mikha exchanged confused glances.

Sheena was about to ask Colet about the ID, but Colet simply shrugged it off.

The military didn't check their temperatures like they had done with Jhoanna's group. Instead, they ushered them inside to clean Mikha's wounds, along with Colet's and Sheena's. Colet insisted that they focus on Mikha and Sheena first.

With Mikha and Sheena being treated, Colet wandered around the facility, her eyes searching for someone specific.

A scientist.

She needed answers about the experiment and whether they had found a cure for what was happening.

The facility was bustling with activity, and Colet's heart pounded as she navigated through the chaos. She finally spotted the person she was looking for. A scientist in a white lab coat, busy with papers and test tubes.

Colet approached him, her voice steady but urgent. "Doc, any updates on the cure? How's the experiment going?"

The scientist looked up, recognizing Colet immediately. "Colet, we've made some progress, but we're not there yet. The virus is mutating faster than we anticipated."

Colet's heart sank. "But there's hope, right?"

The scientist nodded. "There's always hope. We're working around the clock."

Colet nodded. She knew they couldn't give up now. The fight was far from over, but they had each other and the will to survive. And sometimes, that was enough.

-

Meanwhile, Mikha was being aided by one of the nurses when she saw Maloi walking towards the nurse's station.

Mikha winced as she stood up, calling out to Maloi, "Maloi!" The nurse hurriedly told her to sit down and rest, leaving Mikha to watch Maloi approach the nurse's station, oblivious to Mikha and Sheena's presence behind the curtain.

Maloi's eyes were fixed on the nurse as she asked urgently, "May update na ba about my family? Dumating na po ba sila?"

Mikha, noticing Maloi through the slightly open curtain, couldn't contain herself. Despite the pain in her arm, she called out louder, "Loi!"

Maloi's gaze snapped to Mikha's, her eyes filling with yearning and relief.

Without a word, she walked over and enveloped Mikha in a tight hug. Mikha winced slightly at the pressure on her injured arm but didn't pull away, allowing Maloi to hold her close.

"I thought I'd lost you," Maloi murmured, her voice thick with emotion.

Mikha managed a small smile, her heart touched by Maloi's concern. "Nandito lang ako, Loi."

Meanwhile, Sheena watched from her seat, feeling a pang of nostalgia at their closeness. Clearing her throat, the two looked at her, "Ay, sorry. Akala ko kasi hindi niyo alam na nandito pa ako."

Sheena stood up, feeling the need to give them space. "I'll leave you two. Bye," she said softly before slipping out the door.

Alone now, Mikha patted the side of the bed, inviting Maloi to sit beside her. Maloi hesitated only briefly before joining her.

Glancing at Mikha's bandaged arm, Maloi's expression turned apologetic. "Hala, sorry. Mahigpit ba pagkayakap ko kanina?"

Mikha shook her head, smiling softly. "No, it's okay, Loi."

Maloi sighed, her eyes reflecting the weight of their recent experiences. "Akala namin hindi na kayo makakarating."

Mikha's smile widened. "Andaming nangyari. Si Sheena, she found her long-lost sister."

Maloi's eyes widened in surprise. She knew Sheena had always been an only child. "I know, pero matagal ko na rin namang alam, so hindi na ako nagulat."

Mikha's curiosity shifted. "Nasaan na yung iba? Si Stacey?"

"Tulog pa sila nung umalis ako," Maloi replied, her voice tinged with concern.

Mikha's brow furrowed slightly, sensing there was more on Maloi's mind. "Anong ginagawa mo dito, Loi?"

Maloi hesitated, then admitted, "Nag try lang akong hanapin ang family ko sa list, pero wala pa rin daw sila sa records nila."

Realization dawned on Mikha's face, her thoughts drifting to her own family. "Kailangan ko hanapin si Mama at Tita."

Maloi stood up immediately, following Mikha's lead.

They approached the woman in charge of the list, and Mikha gave her mother's and aunt's names with hope in her eyes.

However, the woman shook her head sadly. "I'm sorry, pero wala sila sa listahan."

Feeling the weight of disappointment, Mikha slumped slightly. Maloi gently squeezed her hand, offering silent support.

Mikha looked at Maloi gratefully, feeling a sense of comfort she hadn't expected after all these years.

"Baka nasa kabilang site family natin," Maloi assured her softly. "Huwag susuko."

Mikha nodded, a mix of emotions swirling inside her. "Thank you, Loi."

Maloi smiled warmly.

As they walk together towards the other's tent, Mikha realizes how much Maloi has changed. Despite their past history, Mikha finally felt a deep sense of trust and gratitude towards her longtime friend.

-