Chapter 23

Jhoanna's Point Of View

I had been driving for what felt like an eternity, two hours of empty streets and an eerie silence that made my skin crawl.

I glanced in the rearview mirror and saw Maloi and Stacey fast asleep.

Stacey's mouth hung open, and I couldn't help but chuckle softly at the sight.

Despite everything, there were still moments that could make us laugh.

Aiah was sitting by the window, staring out at the desolate landscape, lost in her thoughts. Gwen, seated beside me, kept her eyes on the road ahead.

"Turn right, malapit na tayo," Gwen instructed.

I turned right, and the facility came into view.

We could see the military presence, a glimmer of hope. I continued driving until we reached the entrance, where a military officer suddenly signaled for us to stop. I hit the brakes, jolting Stacey awake.

"Ano ba 'yan Robles—" she started to complain.

I ignored her and lowered the window.

The military officer was armed and imposing, but Gwen and I were too focused on getting inside to be intimidated.

"Get out of the vehicle," the officer commanded.

We hesitated, sharing nervous glances. He showed us his ID, and Gwen nodded, urging us to comply.

"Gwen, wake up Maloi," I said.

Gwen tapped Maloi, waking her up. "Ano na naman, Gwen?" Maloi mumbled, rubbing her eyes.

"All of us, out," Gwen instructed. Soon we were all out of the car, Gwen, Stacey, Maloi, Aiah, and I.

A group of female personnel approached us.

They were dressed in full protective gear, and their faces were stern. One of them, a woman with a clipboard, stepped forward.

"Any of you feeling sick? Fever? Cough?" she asked.

"No, we're fine," I answered.

"Okay, we need to check all of you before you can go in," she said.

We nodded, and the checks began. The lady personnel separated us, checking our temperatures and looking us over for any signs of infection.

Aiah was first. She stood still, her arms outstretched as they scanned her with a handheld device. "You're clear," the woman said, motioning her forward.

Next was Maloi. "This is so unnecessary," Maloi grumbled, but she complied, letting them check her.

"Better safe than sorry," the personnel replied, finishing up the check. "You're good."

Stacey was next, yawning as they approached her. "What is this, a health spa?" she joked, trying to lighten the mood.

"Just hold still," the lady instructed. Stacey was quickly cleared and moved aside.

Then it was Gwen's turn. She stood still, calm and collected, as they checked her over. "All good here," the woman said, marking something on her clipboard.

Finally, it was my turn. I stretched out my arms, feeling the cool touch of the scanner against my skin. "You're clear," the woman said, stepping back.

After the checks, the officer finally allowed us to proceed.

"Thank you, Lord, tapos na," I heard Stacey whisper.

We got back into the vehicle, and the gates opened up.