Chapter 15

Third Person's Point Of View

Covering Maloi's eyes. "Don't," Mikha whispered, her voice filled with sorrow. "Wala na tayong magagawa."

Maloi felt a tear slip down her cheek as the student's last breath rattled out of her body. The helplessness in those final moments left an indelible mark on them both, the weight of the situation pressing down like a physical force.

Maloi gently removed Mikha's hands from her eyes, feeling a need to assert her independence. "I don't need you to protect me, Mikha," she said, her voice steady but tinged with emotion. "We need to go find help. A guard, at least."

"There were people in the hallway," she recalled, a hint of worry in her tone. "Even the guards at the entrance. But when I arrived, no one was at the counter."

Maloi's eyes narrowed with determination. "Then we need to head to your class and find Stacey. She might know what's going on, or at least we can stick together."

With a sense of urgency, they moved through the hallways, their footsteps echoing in the unsettling silence. Mikha led the way, her mind racing with thoughts of her friends and the chaos that seemed to be unfolding around them.

As they approached Mikha's classroom, the familiar sounds of students and lessons were conspicuously absent. The air was thick with tension, and every shadow seemed to hold a potential threat.

As they approached Mikha's classroom, the hallways seemed unnervingly empty and silent, each echo of their footsteps amplifying the sense of creeping dread. Mikha's eyes darted around, searching for any signs of life or danger. The stillness was unsettling, making every shadow and distant sound a potential threat.

Finally, they reached the door to Mikha's classroom. Mikha tried the handle, but it was locked from the inside. She knocked urgently, calling out, "Stacey! It's Mikha! I'm with Maloi, can you please open the door?"

There was a moment of silence before Stacey's voice responded, slightly muffled, "Mikha? Thank God okay lang kayo. We're barricaded in here. Aalisin lang namin."

As Mikha continued to communicate through the door, Maloi's attention was drawn to movement further down the hallway. She noticed a figure walking slowly. Her instincts screamed danger, and she reached out, tugging on Mikha's sleeve to get her attention.

Mikha paused, annoyance flashing in her eyes as she looked at Maloi. "Ano ba, Loi? Can't you see—" she muttered, but her annoyance quickly turned to concern as she followed Maloi's gaze.

"Run," Mikha whispered, her voice barely audible. The figure hadn't noticed them yet, but the ominous feeling was undeniable.

Just then, Mikha's phone buzzed with a message, the sudden sound breaking the eerie silence. The figure's head snapped towards them, its eyes locking onto them with a feral intensity.

Without wasting a second, the creature began to sprint towards them. Panic surged through Mikha, and she grabbed Maloi's wrist, pulling her along as they ran. "Takbo!" she shouted, her heart pounding in her chest.

They sprinted down the hallway, the sound of their footsteps echoing off the walls. The creature's guttural growls grew louder, closing the distance between them. Mikha glanced back, her grip on Maloi tightening as they pushed themselves to run faster.

The creature pursuing them was none other than the student they had just been aiding earlier. Mikha and Maloi, unable to gain entry into Mikha and Stacey's classroom, bolted towards the library, desperate for a hiding place.

The library was eerily empty, the silence palpable and unnerving. However, they pushed aside their fear, focusing on finding a place to hide. They ducked behind a row of shelves, their breaths shallow and rapid.

Moments later, the creature arrived at the library, its movements predatory and intent. Mikha noticed Maloi's eyes brimming with tears and quickly covered her mouth, whispering, "I'm right here. May  plano ako."

The creature let out an ear-splitting scream, causing Mikha to hiss in frustration. She glanced at Maloi, who looked on the verge of a panic attack. Mikha, aware of Maloi's anxiety, began using sign language to communicate.

She signed, "Baliw na ata yun."

Maloi, with a hint of sarcasm, signed back, "No shit, Sherlock."

Mikha rolled her eyes but appreciated the momentary levity. She scanned the library and spotted a window across the room. Despite the danger, it seemed their best chance of escape. She signed to Maloi, "We'll head to the window. There's a way from there to my classroom."

Maloi signed back anxiously, "Baliw ka ba? delikado masyado."

Mikha replied, "We don't have a choice."

As she formulated her plan, Mikha noticed a trophy on a nearby shelf. She rethought her strategy, signaling to Maloi that she would create a distraction by throwing the trophy, allowing Maloi to escape first.

Maloi's eyes widened in fear, mouthing, "No."

But Mikha, determined and slightly cocky, stood up slowly. Before Maloi could stop her, Mikha grabbed the trophy and hurled it to the opposite side of the library. The noise diverted the creature's attention, and it charged towards the sound with terrifying speed.

Mikha was momentarily stunned by the creature's quick reaction, but Maloi gripped her wrist, pulling her along. "Hindi kita iiwan, mapapatay ako ni Stacey," Maloi insisted, and they sprinted towards the window.

Maloi struggled with the window pane, her movements frantic. The creature's attention shifted back to them as it heard the commotion. "It's stuck!" Maloi shouted, panic rising in her voice.

"Keep trying!" Mikha urged, straining to help pry the window open.

The creature closed in, its grotesque form moving with alarming speed. In a desperate bid, Mikha pushed Maloi aside and grabbed a stick lying nearby. She barely had time to think before the creature lunged at her. Instinct took over, and Mikha thrust the stick forward, striking the creature in the heart.

The creature's momentum halted abruptly, its body going limp as it collapsed to the floor. Mikha stood frozen, her breath coming in ragged gasps, stunned by what she had just done.

Maloi, equally shocked, looked at Mikha with a mixture of relief and disbelief. "Are you okay?" she asked, her voice trembling.

Mikha nodded slowly, the reality of their situation sinking in.

"We need to move. Now."

-