Chapter 10

Third Person's Point Of View

As Mikha drove Sheena home, her friend's chatter filled the silence of the car. Sheena spoke excitedly about her mom's impending return, her voice tinged with anticipation and longing. Mikha listened quietly, her expression carefully neutral as she navigated the darkened streets.

Mikha's smile, though forced, never wavered as she listened to her friend reminisce about moments with her mother. She knew the truth, yet she couldn't bring herself to shatter Sheena's hope with the harsh reality.

She let Sheena talk, offering occasional nods and murmurs of agreement, all the while wrestling with her own inner turmoil. How could she tell her friend that the person she longed to see was no longer among the living?

As they neared Mikha's house, she hesitated before speaking. "Hey, Sheena, do you want to sleep over tonight? Mama misses you. She's been asking about you."

Sheena's eyes lit up with excitement at the invitation, but she shook her head regretfully. "Thanks, Ate Mikha, but I think I should head home."

Mikha nodded understandingly, though a pang of guilt tugged at her heart. "Okay, Sheena. But if you change your mind, you know where to find me."

As they pulled up to Sheena's house, Mikha couldn't shake the feeling of unease that gnawed at her insides. She watched as Sheena disappeared into her home, her thoughts consumed by the weight of the secret she bore.

Once back at home, Mikha wasted no time in sharing the news with her mother. She recounted Sheena's conversation about her "phone call" with her mother, her words laced with uncertainty and confusion.

To Mikha's surprise, her mother's reaction was calm and collected. There was a knowing look in her eyes, as if she had anticipated this turn of events.

"Mama, you knew?" Mikha asked, her voice betraying her bewilderment.

Her mother nodded, a serene smile gracing her lips. "Yes, anak. I had a feeling something like this might happen."

Mikha's mind raced with questions, but her mother's gentle touch on her shoulder offered silent reassurance.

"There are some things in this world, Mikha, that defy explanation," her mother said softly. "Some connections that transcend the boundaries of life and death."

Though her heart still felt heavy with uncertainty, Mikha found solace in her mother's words.

-

In the solitude of her room, Sheena's heart weighed heavy with the burden of her own deception. The words of the unknown caller echoed in her mind, a haunting reminder of the painful truth she had tried so desperately to bury.

She had lied to Mikha, fabricating a tale of her mother's impending return in a desperate bid for reassurance. But deep down, she knew the truth—the call had brought news of her mother's passing, the same news that had shattered her world months ago.

As she replayed the conversation in her mind, a pang of guilt gnawed at her conscience. She had wanted to see if Mikha would reveal the truth, to gauge her friend's loyalty and honesty. But the silence that followed only deepened the wound, leaving Sheena feeling betrayed and alone.

"Why didn't you tell me, Ate Mikha?" she whispered, her voice barely a whisper in the empty room. "You knew all this time... bakit?"

Tears welled in Sheena's eyes as she grappled with the unfairness of it all. Mikha had kept her secret to spare her pain, to shield her from the harsh realities of the world. And yet, the knowledge of her friend's deception only served to deepen her sadness.

But even in the midst of her despair, Sheena couldn't shake the unwavering trust she held for Mikha. She knew that her friend had only acted out of love and concern, sacrificing her own peace of mind to protect hers.

"It's not fair," she murmured, her voice trembling with emotion. "But I know you were only trying to protect me, Ate Mikha. And for that, I'll always be grateful."

As the tears fell freely down her cheeks, Sheena found solace in the knowledge that, no matter what, Mikha would always be there for her. And with that thought to guide her, she clung to the flicker of hope that burned bright within her heart, lighting the way through the darkness.

With trembling fingers, Sheena dialed the number of the unknown caller, her heart pounding with a mixture of apprehension and desperation. As the phone rang, each chime felt like an eternity, amplifying her anxiety until she feared she might burst.

Finally, a voice answered on the other end, its tone guarded yet strangely familiar. "Hello?" came the cautious response.

"It's me," Sheena said, her voice barely above a whisper, her words heavy with emotion.

There was a pause on the line, as if the person on the other end was weighing their response. "I figured you'd call," came the reply, laced with a hint of resignation.

"Why did you do it?" Sheena asked, her voice cracking with emotion. "Why tell me now, after all this time?"

There was another pause, this one heavier than before. "I thought you deserved to know the truth," the voice said finally, its tone tinged with regret. "And I couldn't bear to see you living a lie."

Sheena's heart clenched at the words, the weight of their meaning settling like a stone in her chest. "But why tell me like this? Why not sooner?"

"Because some truths are better left unsaid," the voice replied cryptically, evading Sheena's question.

Frustration simmered beneath Sheena's skin as she struggled to make sense of the cryptic response. "Who are you?" she demanded, her voice tinged with desperation.

But the person on the other end remained silent, their identity shrouded in mystery. And as the line went dead, Sheena was left with more questions than answers, her heart heavy with the weight of the truth she had yet to uncover.

With a sigh, she pocketed her phone, her mind racing with thoughts of the unknown caller and the secrets they held. But one thing was certain—she wouldn't rest until she uncovered the truth, no matter how elusive it may be.

-