Chapter 2

Camila didn't know Lauren that well, but she knew her enough to know she had Algebra her next class, and she'd be in a shitload of trouble if she didn't have her book. So, halfway through her fourth hour, when she had the second lunch, she looks on the inside of the book. Lauren had Mr. Cowell. Ooh, he was tough.

Camila half walks, half runs to Mr. Cowell's classroom. Lauren is just walking in, about twenty feet ahead, and they had about three minutes left of passing time before she was in trouble. Mr. Cowell wasn't in the room, thankfully.

Camila walks in. "Lauren," she says, a bit out of breath.

Lauren turns, confused, and smiles softly when she sees it's Camila. "What're you doing here?" Lauren asks her as she sits down.

Camila hands her the book, and Lauren looks at it, confused.

"That's not-" Lauren starts to say as she looks through her bag, only to find her book isn't in it. "Oh. It is mine," Lauren says, laughing. "How did you have this?" she asks her.

"I saw what those girls did to you. It's not right," Camila says softly.

"I'm used to it by now," Lauren says quietly, looking at her hands.

"You should do something about it," Camila says sincerely.

"What can I do? If I don't do anything, then I'm a target for lesbian jokes. If I do something, I'm a snitch, AND a target for lesbian jokes. There's no winning, but the first is better than the latter," Lauren says, looking back up at her.

Camila gives her an apologetic look. "It's that bad, huh?" She shakes her head. "I thought people at this school were better than that," she scoffs. "Apparently not."

"Camz it's okay," Lauren says, the nickname just coming out naturally.

"No it's not," she replies softly, shaking her head.

The bell rings before they could say anything else. Camila sighs. "I gotta get to lunch. I'll see you tonight," she says before leaving.

Time dragged on the rest of the day, but after what seemed like forever the bell finally rings to dismiss them.

"Hey, Lauren," Normani says as she walks up to her locker. "Have fun tonight," she says, winking.

"Mani I'm not in the mood for any more gay jokes today," Lauren snaps, putting her chemistry homework in her bag.

Normani's smile fades. "Is Stacy bothering you again?" She asks knowingly.

Lauren nods as she grabs more of her homework.

"Ugh, I'll snap that blonde bitch in half like a twig!" she says angrily.

"Just let it go, Mani," Lauren says quietly, shaking her head.

"You tell me if she ever goes near you again, alright?" Normani says seriously.

Lauren just nods before shutting her locker. "I gotta get home to get ready," Lauren says.

She immediately looks at Normani warningly, who closes her mouth, not saying what she had wanted to.

"What's going on tonight, y'all?" Ally asks as she joins them walking out to the parking lot.

"Lauren's going to Camila's tonight," Normani says.

Lauren rolls her eyes.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself," Normani says.

"Ooh, Lauren's got a date, huh?" Ally asks light heartedly.

Normani punches her arm.

"Ow! What the hell-"

"She's in a bad mood and you're lucky I did that before she did, because it would've been a lot worse," Normani says in a low voice.

"What's wrong, Lo?" Ally asks her.

"Stacy," she says, getting into the car.

"What did that she-devil do to you this time?" Ally asks angrily.

"The same shit she always does. And, even better, Camila was watching the whole thing," Lauren says.

"Wait, what?" Normani asks.

"Yeah. She was at her locker and when Stacy pushed me and made me drop my books, one slid down the hall and she got it back to me. She told me she had seen the whole thing," Lauren explains as she pulled out of the parking lot.

"And she didn't do anything?"

"What could she have done, Mani, honestly? She would've just gotten the same treatment I did and I don't want that for her," Lauren says.

"Wait, she's gay?"

"No... Well, actually I don't know but, I know they make fun of her for being a 'nerd', just because she gets good grades and she a little weird sometimes but I think it's funny," Lauren says, shaking her head.

"Alright, well. I'm sorry for joking around, Lo," Normani apologizes.

"It's okay. You didn't know," Lauren says, smiling softly at her. She drops off Normani and then Ally before heading home. On the way, Lauren couldn't help but think about the bruise she saw on Camila's collarbone. It looked like she had another on her arm, but she could tell there was makeup on them in an effort to cover them up.

Lauren though it was extremely strange, but decided to stop worrying about other people's business.

--

a/n: So here's the first few chapters! Leave me any notes you have, comments, whatever. Have a good rest of your day, and I'll hopefully get some good reviews for this story and I'll continue it. xox.

-Ashleigh