Chapter 18

A few months later, Camila was in the middle of her physical therapy session with her physician, Dr. King.

"I can't do this," she huffs in frustration, plopping back down fully into her wheelchair.

"Yes you can, Mija," her mother tells her honestly from the other side of the room, doing some warm-ups of her own on her arm.

"What if I hurt my ribs?" She asks Dr. King.

He shakes his head. "Camila, we've been over this three times today. Your ribs are fine now, you won't hurt them by doing exercises on your leg. You're just procrastinating."

"I know..." She groans in defeat. She sits up again, grabbing the handles of her locked in wheelchair before lifting herself up by her arms, moving her leg.

"Very good," Dr. King says, giving her a supportive smile. "You wanna stop now, or do you think we can at least get you standing today, champ?"

"Calling me champ won't help my answer, just so you know. But sure, I'll try it even though I will most likely fail," Camila says, laughing at her doctor's choice of 'encouraging' words.

He chuckles. "Alright, but stop doubting yourself. You're a lot stronger than you think you are," he says honestly, going to get a few nurses to help him. Ten minutes later, Camila is surrounded by a team of people, all helping her stand gently.

Once Camila is upright, they ease their hold on her, but still have her enough to keep her from falling over.

"See? I told you you could do it!" Dr. King says excitedly, not able to contain his pride.

Camila smiles before looking at her mother. "Look, mama! I'm standing!" She says excitedly.

Sinuhe smiles, holding back tears. "I know, mija. I am so proud of you."

"I'll talk to the doctors, but I think you can get your cast off soon. You should make a full recovery," Dr. King says, helping sit her back into the wheelchair.

Camila smiles. "That's great. So when can I fully go home?"

"I'm not totally sure. It won't be long, I know that. Once you get your walking boot you're practically outta here," he tells her.

She nods before a nurse starts to push her back to her room. "Can I do it myself?" She asks, unsure if she was allowed.

"Of course," she says, smiling as she lifts her hands up and off of the chair.

Camila smiles, wheeling herself back to her room with the nurse walking beside her, chatting. "Lauren is supposed to come and pick me up today," she tells the young nurse excitedly.

She chuckles as she makes Camila's bed while she stayed in her chair. "You two should go for a walk out in the garden. I mean, you can wheel and she can walk... I'm sorry, I'm not helping myself here," she says guiltily.

Camila gives her a soft smile before shaking her head. "It's alright. I mean it's obvious I can't just get up and walk, I have to wheel. It's okay to say that," she says, chuckling at the nurse worrying so much about her harmless statement.

She blushes, looking down at her hands. "I'm sorry, I'm new a-and I still screw up a lot..."

"Well welcome to the hospital. What's your name?" Camila asks her interestedly.

"Ariana," she says shyly.

Camila smiles. "I'm Camila. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone you let me wheel myself back down here," she tries to joke, but immediately regrets it when she sees pure terror spread across the older girl's face, and she seems to go pale. "I'm kidding! Kidding, don't worry. I swear you aren't in trouble."