.7

~

"Damn it," Violet mutters. I'm pretty sure her toe got caught in a rock. I'm not sure though, it's too dark to see anything. The moon is bright enough to lead our way. It's full, my favorite phase. Violet and I are hiding under our cloaks, just as a precaution, in case anyone else decided that they felt like breaking the rules and leaving the dorms after curfew. I mean who wouldn't want to?

The river water is rushing faster than we are walking, I'd like to sketch it. You can smell the freshwater that has run down the mountain peaks mix with minerals and dirt as it splashes against the river rocks. The currents are fast and deadly, but they're beautiful. It doesn't leave me surprised that the first-year that fell in during downtime yesterday died. Since the parapet, our squad is the only one to not lose any of its members. I doubt it'll last though. Woah. Where'd my confidence go?

Violet coaxed me into hunting down a berry vine with her. Personally, I think she just wanted me to climb the tree. I agreed because challenges start next week. Rhiannon and I have been training her, but she's not ready to face some of the competitors, while they're at their full strength. She's just not.

I follow along behind Violet until we wound up in front of a large oak tree. The branches are wide and long, it would be a perfect tree to sit and sketch in, some of the branches stretch out over the rushing river water. The lowest branch is easily climbable, especially since the tall grass that should be there is trampled down. Someone has clearly been here before Vi, and I. I just hope for Violet's sake they don't come back tonight. I can most definitely defend myself, but myself and another person is a completely different story. Defending two people is just a little different, okay?

Violet looks at me with a look asking if I'm sure want to do this. I nod, and swing my right arm over the branch, then pull myself up so that I'm now standing on it. Don't worry about balance, my father had me on balance beams since I was six. So kind of him, truly. I was so ready for the fucking parapet.

The berry vine reminds me of the ivy vines that Knox and I used to draw on each other's arms. I use my left hand to tug my cloak out from beneath my feet, as I slide my right hand along the trunk and grip onto the next branch. This particular activity would be easier in the daylight, but Violet wanted to come with me, and it's easier to get caught when there are two people. And it's not as easy to see us in the dark.