.10

Don't underestimate the challenge of the Gauntlet, Wrenley

Don't underestimate the challenge of the Gauntlet, Wrenley. It's designed to test your balance, strength, and agility. The times don't matter for shit, only that you make it to the top. Reach for the ropes when you have to. Coming in last is better than coming in dead.

—Page forty-six, Knox's Guide to the Rider's Quadrant

Chapter Ten

| Wrenley's POV |

I look up, then further up, and then either further up. I can feel the fear radiating off of Violet, who I've been being petty enough not to talk to after she accused me of thinking I was better than everyone. That was not cool. Anyway, I, on the other hand, am practically bouncing with energy and adrenaline. Something's seriously wrong with me.

"Well, that's..." Rhiannon swallows, her head tilted just as far back as mine as we stare at the very tall obstacle course that's carved into the front of a ridgeline so steep, it might as well be a cliff. The zigzagging death trap of a trail rises above us, climbing in five distinct switchbacks of 180-degree turns, each increasing in difficulty on the way to the top of the bluff that divides the citadel from the flight field and the Vale. So cool. Maybe I just need to get an energy release. I probably shouldn't have had coffee this morning.

"Amazing." Aurelie and I sigh. I look over and grin at her, exchanging a high-five.

Rhiannon and Violet turn, both staring at us like we must have hit our heads. They need some confidence. This is seriously the best part of this school. Well, except for the hot guys, meaning Xaden. No, not Xaden. The dragons, those are fucking awesome. The classes aren't so bad either.

"You think that hell-scape looks amazing?" Rhiannon asks.

"Hell yes," I mutter under my breath.

"I've been waiting years for this!" Aurelie grins, her normally serious black eyes dancing in the morning sun as she rubs her hands together, shifting from one toned leg to the other in glee. She's just as excited as I am. "My dad—he was a rider until he retired last year—used to set up obstacle courses like this all the time so we could practice, and Chase, my brother, said it's the best part of being here before Threshing. It's a real adrenaline rush." I have a feeling, I found a new friend.