.1

A dragon without its rider is a tragedy

A rider without their dragon is dead.

— Article One, Section One

The Dragon Rider's Codex

Chapter One | Wrenley's POV |

Chapter One 
| Wrenley's POV |

There is a day that happens once every year that some fear. That day is Conscription Day. The deadliest day of the year. The day that many dread. I, however, am not one of the majority. I am sorted into the minority where we look forward to getting to leave home and go ride a fucking dragon. It leaves me to wonder if that is why the sunrise is extra vibrant today — maybe it's because for some, it is going to be their very last sunrise. I sigh, willing my confidence to remain.

I close my eyes, tightening my grip on my canvas rucksack and duck my head; heading into my father's office. I quickly glance to the right, seeing Violet shut the door behind her, heading into her mother's office.

I roll my neck before entering my father's office. Violet and I had grown up side by side; our parents being generals. Violet's so-called mother had declared that it would be super smart to send her daughter that has had zero training into the Rider's Quadrant. I, on the other hand, have been training since I was six years old. Thank you to my father.

I take one more deep breath, shoving all my hatred down and knock thrice before entering General Aesira's office. Avoiding eye contact, an art I picked up on a long time ago, I glance out the large windows, seeing the gates and thousands of people in the age range of eighteen to twenty. I watch closely as their families gather around them; wishing them farewells and safety. I watch as tears fall from those who either have no hope of their loved ones returning to them or those that are simply sad to say goodbye to a family member for a year. I wonder what that is like.

Sometimes I get stuck in my mind and wonder that maybe if people had just a little more faith in each other, then maybe, just maybe, more might survive to graduation. Basgiath War College. A very fun place. The very fun, I promise, place that'll be considered my home for the next few years. That is if I don't die. Which I won't. But still.