.15

Just because you survive Threshing doesn't mean you'll survive the ride to the flight field

Just because you survive Threshing doesn't mean you'll survive the ride to the flight field. Being chosen isn't the only test, and if you can't hold your seat, then you'll fly straight into the ground.

—Page fifty, Knox's Guide to the Riders Quadrant

Chapter Fifteen

| Wrenley's POV |

Freedom. Freedom is all I feel. Air rushes past me as I glide through the skies on Rhae, and the sun catches the scales of the golden one far beneath us.

I've never felt so free. For years. For years, I've been stuck. Locked up in my father's house, or under his watchful gaze in the Quadrant. But right now? Right now he can't see me. I'm free. And it feels amazing.

"You enjoying yourself up there, Little Warrior?" I'm almost sure I see him twist his neck to see me.

I'm on Rhae's shoulders. I'm actually flying. Something I thought would never happen did. Maybe I'm not cursed. Maybe my father didn't ruin all my chances at happiness after all.

"I feel more free than I've felt in a long time." I smile softly down at him.

He glances up at me, and I swear the ridge above his eye arches. "Should I applaud you? All jokes aside, I'm glad you're happy."

"You can never be serious can you?" I straighten my back, and lift up my chin, allowing the wind to rush into my face, and through my hair. Rhae's huge, but he's also careful as he flies us along the mountain. He's never even been seen in the public eye before in Navarre. This will be his first public appearance. In Professor Kaori's lesson, he claimed that the white dragon was a myth. And now I'm about to fly into the flight field on said myth.

My stomach drops as he swoops down and glides through a narrow valley in the mountains, before rushing back up into the sky again at a steady glide. "If you vomit right now, I will drop you faster than you stabbed one of those idiots back in the Threshing," he growls.