.14

~

Xaden. I want to have hope. but I know he can't really stop this. He can try to talk them out of doing it, but that won't work. He can't truly interfere.

What he wants, which I would hope, is to save the dragon, doesn't matter. He's only allowed to observe. They seriously need to update the rules on pretty much everything, because almost everything in the system that is the Riders Quadrant is completely screwed up.

"And if we don't want to rethink our actions?" Jack shouts.

Xaden looks towards me, and I swear I can see his jaw clench, even from about two-hundred feet away.

I tear my gaze away from his and glance at Violet. Then focus back on the three imbeciles in front of me.

"There's nothing you can do, right? Wingleader?" Jack bellows. Seriously does he know how to lower his volume?

At least his singular brain cell knows the rules though.

"It's not me you should worry about today," Xaden responds and Sgaeyl tilts her head, nothing but menace in her eyes when I glance over.

I tilt my head and look towards Tynan. "You really want to attack me?" He scoffs. "Keep in mind I'm a squadmate. And I'm pretty darn sure you've seen my challenges."

"Squads don't mean shit today," he seethes, menace curling his lips into an angry smile. Is he trying to look threatening? Yeah, it's not working if he is.

"So I guess that's a no on flying?" Violet tosses over her shoulder, the golden dragon chuffs low in its throat in response. "Great, well, if you could back me up with those claws, I'd really appreciate it."

It chuffs twice, and I fail at trying not to laugh.

"Hey, Vi. You might wanna check out those claws." The golden tilts its head, peering at me. "I'm sorry, I meant paws."

"Oh, fucking hell. You don't have claws?" Violet swears.

I turn back to the three men just as jack starts to sprint towards me. I don't hesitate. I whip my sword into the air and it lands exactly where I was aiming. It hits my mark, right in the shoulder of the arm that held his sword. His sword falls and his knees hit the ground, and he cries out in pain.