.26

~

"What really happened in Battle Brief a few weeks ago?" Xaden asks in a hushed whisper, fingers running through my hair. The rest of November had gone by ridiculously fast; without a mention of what had happened in Sumerton.

It was now December and snow had fallen, no mention of the scroll had been brought up and Eve, Sawyer, Liam and I gave up on waiting for the information to be announced.

Xaden had been coming into my dorm late into the night since that day in Battle Brief and curling up against me; however, he hasn't presented his concerns until today. He had dragged me outside this morning, and we had been sitting in the snow since; his back against a tree and my head in his lap.

"Nothing happened." I whisper weakly, catching one of his hands with mine and lacing our fingers together.

"Songbird, I'm smart enough to catch when you lie to me." He squeezes my hand, leaning down to press a kiss to my nose.

I sigh, thinking back to the few flame flare-ups that I have had since that one class in November. I had worked on it slightly so I had a little better control over it, but it still scares the shit out of me.

"What if I'm not lying?" I ask in a tone that makes it clear I don't even believe what I'm saying.

"Wren," He sighs, pressing a kiss to each of my knuckles. "Please be honest. Or I can get Eve if you'd rather talk to her, but you need to talk to someone."

"No. No, I want to be able to talk to you-"

Xaden cuts me off. "You can always talk to me, Songbird."

I swallow, taking a deep breath before speaking. "I seem to have developed this power." I peer up at him, seeing him watching me intently. "It'd honestly be easier to show you than to explain it."

As I drew in another breath, I relaxed my body before slowly raising my right hand, allowing flame to lick up from my palm. Xaden's dark eyes peered down at it like a moth to light. He blinked, his eyes finding mine. "What is it? It can't be your signet, you haven't developed your lesser magic yet." He asked; voice steady as if trying to not scare off a hummingbird.