Chapter 10

While I wouldn't say I harbor hatred towards the women who work in the brothel, Ros has a special talent for getting under my skin, igniting a simmering irritation every time our paths cross. Unfortunately for me I see Ros in the corridors not so discretely leaving Theons room managing to stir something within me.

"Lady Song," Ros greets me, her voice dripping with faux warmth as she flashes a sugary smile.

Forcing a smile of my own, I reply, "Ros, it's been a while," silently thanking whatever divine forces have kept our encounters sparse.

Ros muses, "Indeed, I've been occupied at the brothel. Haven't had the pleasure of gracing the castle with my presence lately."

I offer a noncommittal hum in response. "I suppose Theon fancied a change of scenery today. He's well aware of how Lady Catelyn and Lord Stark would frown upon such visits."

"Nothing to fret about. I've mastered the art of discretion when making my exits. As long as no one blabs about what they've seen," she remarks casually.

I shrug, replying, "Excellent, because I'm not one to divulge secrets easily. Now, if you'll-" Before I can continue, Ros halts me in my tracks.

"Before you go, girl to girl, I must implore you to persuade Lord Robb to reconsider my proposition," she says, her tone laced with suggestion as she wears a knowing smile. "I've heard noblewomen can be quite the challenge to sway."

Returning her smile with a more pronounced one of my own, I retort, "Knowing Robb, if he were interested in your offer, he would have accepted it by now. Best not to plead too desperately, Ros; it doesn't bode well." With that, I walk away, leaving her to ponder my words.

Closing the door to my room with more force than necessary, I seethe with frustration. That woman truly knows how to push my buttons. How dare she even suggest such a thing? Everyone in the North is well aware of my betrothal to Robb, a commitment that was written in stone before my ability to even articulate words.

But then again, I'm not without my own wrongdoings, am I? I can't ignore the fact that I had a relationship with Robb's brother of all people.

Sinking onto my bed, I release a frustrated huff. There's truly no justification for me to be upset with Robb. Even if he were to entertain the idea of seeking comfort elsewhere during our betrothal, I've remained faithful, holding onto my virtue. But I can't expect him to adhere to the same standards, not when I'm lying like this to him.

As my mind swirls with tumultuous thoughts, my gaze falls upon Jon's unopened letter resting on my nightstand. It's a constant reminder of the tangled emotions I harbor for him, emotions that have persisted for as long as I can remember. Taking the letter I open a drawer in my nightstand and shove it in there I can no longer afford to put everything on hold for the sake of my feelings. Robb and I have responsibilities to fulfill, whether I'm willing to acknowledge them or not. It's time to face reality.

—————

(Robb's POV)

Three abrupt knocks jolt me awake, and I groan inwardly at the disturbance in the middle of the night. Glancing beside me, I see Rickon still deep in slumber, and Greywind's head perks up with curiosity.

"Stay here with Rickon," I murmur to Greywind, silently urging him to keep watch over my brother.

Slipping out of bed, I approach the door to find Aida on the other side, her expression frazzled as she raises her hand to knock again. Even in her disheveled state, she retains an air of poise and grace. "Aid, it's late. Is everything alright?" I whisper, mindful of not waking Rickon.