Chapter 18

Walking through the encampment, I spot Carlisle chatting with Talisa, a smirk on his face matched by a subtle smile from her. I stride over, placing a hand on Carlisle's shoulder. "Is he bothering you?" I ask Talisa.

She pauses, as if considering her response, then looks at Carlisle. "He's alright," she says, with a hint of mischief.

Carlisle scoffs playfully. "Just alright?"

Talisa fires back, "What? You want me to say horrendous? We can arrange that."

A smile spreads across Carlisle's face, fueled by Talisa's remark. Before he can reply, I interject, "Robb needs you for something."

With a slight groan, Carlisle rises and exits. As Talisa returns to her writing, I claim the seat he vacated. "What are you writing?" I inquire.

"A letter to my mother," Talisa replies, a hint of longing in her voice. "I haven't seen her in a while."

Shrugging, I probe, "Why not?"

Talisa responds with a small smile, "That's a story for another day."

My attention shifts to Carlisle and Robb conversing in the distance. "He seems to have a small crush on you," I remark.

"Who?" she asks, her gaze darting towards them.

"Carlisle," I clarify, though I notice her focus seems to linger on Robb, which I hope isn't the case, considering the prospect of having a female companion would be nice.

"Oh," she responds. "I just thought he was flirtatious by nature, though he never seems to flirt with you."

I chuckle lightly. "He does a bit. He knows we're just friends, but he's a good guy."

Setting down her pencil, Talisa regards me with raised eyebrows. "Are you trying to be his wingwoman right now?"

"Maybe?" I admit with a smile, prompting her laughter. "That obvious?"

She nods. "Definitely." Then, she shrugs. "But you don't strike me as someone who lies easily, so if you say he's a good guy, I might need to take up the offer."

Robb approaches us alongside Carlisle and greets, "Lady Talisa," then turns to me, adding, "Aid," with a smile.

Returning the smile, my heart quickens, still recalling yesterday's events. Talisa interjects, "Your Grace, I'm not sure I'm a lady. Westerosi customs are still a bit foreign to me; it's hard to keep all the rules straight," she says, a hint of amusement in her voice.

Robb smirks in response, "But if I remember my lessons, a woman of noble birth is always called a lady. Unless she's a queen or a princess. I could find someone who knows."

"Why are you so sure I'm of noble birth?" Talisa questions, tilting her head.

Robb shrugs nonchalantly, "Because it's obvious."

"What if I told you my father sold lace on the Long Bridge, and my mother, my brother, and I lived with him above our shop?" she challenges.

With a small smile, Robb replies, "Then I'd think I'd call you a liar."

"Not very noble to accuse a lady of dishonesty. I always thought I was a brilliant liar," Talisa remarks.