Chapter 29

Aida Stark

"Where exactly are we going?" Sophie asks from behind me on the horse.

"We're heading to the Wall," I reply.

Her eyes widen in disbelief. "But, Your Grace, the Wall is filled with criminals and exiles."

"I know," I say, letting out a heavy sigh that seems to carry the weight of our journey. "But Jon is there, and he's the only person I can trust right now."

"Jon Snow?" she repeats.

I nod, my gaze fixed on the snowy horizon. "Yes, Jon Snow."

Sophie falls silent, the gravity of our destination sinking in. The only sounds that break the stillness are the rhythmic clatter of ours and Bryndens horses hooves on the ground and the chilling whisper of the wind that bites through our cloaks. The northern landscape stretches out before us, a vast, unyielding expanse of snow and ice that seems to go on forever.

"Are you sure it's safe?" she finally asks, her voice a fragile thread of worry piercing the cold air.

"Completely Safe? Probably not," I admit, my eyes narrowing. "But it's necessary."

She shifts slightly, adjusting her grip on my waist, seeking some semblance of reassurance. "What if they don't let us in? Women aren't allowed at the Wall."

I tighten my hold on the reins, my knuckles whitening in the cold. "We'll deal with that when we get there. Jon will vouch for us."

As we press on, a new sound catches my attention, faint at first but growing louder. The thunder of hooves—many hooves—echoes through the crisp air. My heart quickens as I glance over at Brynden Tully, whose eyes also widen in alarm.

"Hurry!" he says, spurring his horse forward.

Sophie grips me tighter as I urge our horse into a gallop, the wind whipping against our faces. The sound of the approaching riders grows louder, closer. My mind races with possibilities: bandits, rival soldiers, or worse.

We ride hard, the landscape blurring around us as the cold wind whips against our faces. The relentless pounding of hooves behind us grows louder, the pursuers closing in. Suddenly, a sharp whistle cuts through the air. I glance back just in time to see an arrow strike Brynden in the chest. He falls from his horse with a cry, and Iridessa screams as they and their horse hit the ground with a sickening thud.

"Brynden! Iridessa!" I shout, panic surging through me, but there's no time to stop. Another whistle, another arrow, barely misses us.

"Sophie, get off!" I shout, slowing my horse down, my voice strained with urgency. I see Iridessa staggering to her feet, frantically checking on Brynden, who lies motionless, his eyes staring blankly. "Join Iridessa on her horse!"

Sophie hesitates, eyes wide with fear. "Your Grace, we can't just—"

I give her a sharp push. "Go to the Wall! Only talk to Jon Snow and tell him I sent you. He'll protect you!" With one last look at me, she scrambles off and runs to Iridessa, who is struggling to get their horse back up. They manage to mount just as another arrow zips past.

"Go! Now!" I yell at them. "Take Nymeria and run!"

Iridessa shakes her head, tears streaming down her face. "We can't just leave you!"

Nymeria, the loyal direwolf, stands protectively by my side, growling as the assailants come closer. "Leave, Nymeria!" I command. "Go! Protect them!" With a reluctant whine, Nymeria turns and bounds ahead, guiding them. Iridessa's horse takes hesitant steps forward, Sophie clinging tightly to her, both of them looking back with desperation.