Chapter 13

Taking my bow and arrow, I shoot a raven in the sky released from The Freys' castle. I quickly retrieve the message attached to it and hurry back to Robb.

Handing Robb the letter, he takes it with a nod. "Perfect shot as always," he comments, his tone appreciative of my bow and arrow skills.

I smile at his compliment as Robb examines the letter. "It's a birthday message to his grand-niece Walda," he observes.

Theon shakes his head, lines of uncertainty etched on his features. "Or so Walder Frey would have you think."

Lady Catelyn nods in agreement. "Keep shooting them down."

As the conversation carries on among the others, Carlisle, Theon, and I discreetly move away to resume our task of intercepting the birds.

"That one's yours, Carlisle," I remark, nodding towards the next bird preparing to take flight.

With focused determination, Carlisle lifts his bow and arrow, squinting slightly as he takes aim. With a swift release, the arrow finds its mark, bringing the bird down in an instant.

Impressed by his skill, I applaud Carlisle's success, prompting him to bow in mock grandeur, a gesture I can't help but laugh along with.

As I prepare to release my arrow, I catch a glimpse of Robb, looking ready to depart. "Take over for me," I instruct Theon and Carlisle before hurrying back to the other group.

Arriving just in time, I hear Robb's command for his horse to be readied. "Where are you off to?" I inquire, curiosity tingeing my tone.

Robb meets my gaze with a solemn expression. "We need to cross the bridge. Someone has to go speak to Walder Frey."

Instantly, I offer, "I'll accompany you."

But Robb's response is firm. "No, you should stay here," he insists, his tone leaving no room for argument.

Greatjon fixes Robb with a disapproving stare. "Enter the Twins alone, and he'll sell you to the Lannisters!"

"You'd be reckless to go in there solo," I interject, my concern evident in my tone.

Robb looks to me, silently pleading for understanding. "My father would do whatever it took to secure our crossing. Whatever it took," he explains, his gaze then turning to Lady Catelyn. "If I'm to lead an army, I can't have other people doing my bargaining for me."

To our surprise, Lady Catelyn nods in agreement. "I agree," she states unexpectedly. "I'll go."

In unison, Robb and I protest, "You can't!"

"I've known Lord Walder since I was a girl. He would never harm me," Lady Catelyn insists, her voice unwavering.

But I shake my head, unable to share her confidence. "I don't think it's a risk we should be willing to take. You're the Lady of Winterfell."

Lady Catelyn's lips curve into a wry smile. "Well, if it ever comes to that, it's fortunate that I have an exceptional successor to take my place."

—————

As Robb and his advisors hash out another plan, I pace in circles, nervously biting my nail, eagerly anticipating Lady Catelyn's return to reveal Walder Frey's decision.