Chapter 27

"My honored guests, be welcome within my walls and at my table," Walder Frey declares ceremoniously, as we gather before the grand doors of his hall with trays of hors d'oeuvres circulating among us.

"We thank you for your hospitality, my lord," Robb replies respectfully. "It is greatly appreciated."

Walder Frey nods sagely, a sly grin spreading across his face. "Ah, well. When the wolf comes knocking, the gates give way," he remarks with a smirk, then shifts his gaze to a group of young women nearby. With a subtle wave of his hand, he signals for them to step forward. "I believe you haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting my daughters."

Pointing to each in turn, Walder Frey continues, "This is Walda, Derwa, and Waldra. And my eldest granddaughters, Ginia and Neila. Serra and Sarra, twins whom I'll be sure to give away together it'll surely charm any man," he adds with a chuckle, noticing a flicker of discomfort on my face.

He continues, introducing more of his daughters and granddaughters. "And Marianne, Freya, Wertha—"

"Waldra," one of the daughters corrects him.

Ignoring the interruption, Walder Frey carries on, "And Waldina—"

"I'm Merry," another daughter interjects firmly.

"Fine," Walder Frey dismisses her with a wave of his hand, appearing slightly irritated. He then gestures towards a younger girl. "And here's my youngest daughter, Shirei. though she hasn't bled yet." he remarks casually. "I had hoped to arrange a match for you, but your mother kindly reminded me of your betrothal."

Walder Frey's sharp eyes fixate on me. "There she is," he declares, gesturing for me to approach with a wave of his hand. "Come closer, girl. Let me have a proper look at you."

I step forward cautiously, aware of his scrutinizing gaze. "Still can't see you. Old eyes," he mutters with a wry grin, teasingly.

Suppressing a sigh, I advance further, trying to maintain a composed facade while Walder Frey continues his assessment. "The rumors were true," he muses aloud. "A pretty face, indeed. Mmm, very pretty. Prettier than this lot, that's for sure." His appraisal turns unsettling as his eyes drift down my form. I clench my fists at my sides, feeling the weight of his gaze like an unwelcome touch.

We need this, Aida.

I remind myself firmly, pushing down the discomfort.

Turning to Robb, Walder Frey's tone turns lecherous. "Oh, you try to hide her under that dress," he remarks with a suggestive smirk. "If you wanted to keep her hidden, you shouldn't have brought her here in the first place. I can always see what's going on beneath a dress. Been at this a long time. I bet when you take that dress off, everything stays right where it is. Doesn't drop an inch."

I avoid looking at Robb, knowing he must be struggling with the same anger I'm fighting to contain.

Finally done with his unsettling scrutiny, Walder Frey shifts his focus. "Well, I've enough room in the hall for you lot. We'll set up tents outside with food and ale for the rest of your men."

Robb nods curtly, his eyes blazing with restrained fury. "Thank you, my lord," he responds through gritted teeth, his voice tight with suppressed emotion.

——————

"I want to leave," I say firmly to Robb, standing in our chambers. He sits on the bed, looking concerned, while I settle into a chair nearby.

Robb sighs, running a hand through his hair. "Aida, I get it, but..."

"Something doesn't feel right," I insist. "When Walder Frey's sons visited Riverrun, they said 'Father is old. It would bring him peace to see her married to a good husband.' That man dorsnt give a shit about his daughter, Robb. He can't even remember their names."