Chapter 11

The next morning, they sat in a meeting room, with a bunch of other sorcerers, most of which Eliana had never seen in her life, thought she recognized some familiar faces in the crowd, such as Mei Mei, a grade-1 agent who worked only in exchange of a good amount of money. Nanami was there, also, along with Shoko, who Eliana enthusiastically greeted with a wave of hand. The girl had been a student at Jujutsu High at the same time as her, and they for sure needed to catch up once that meeting was over. 

Considering how late the duo had come back to the school the night before, the meeting had been appointed first thing in the morning. 

Eliana shifted uneasily in her seat, her mind still reeling from the events of yesterday. She stole a glance at Gojo, noting the furrowed brow and contemplative expression that marred his usually confident features. It was clear that he, too, was still confused with the events of the day before. 

Yaga finally entered the room, his presence commanding respect and authority.

- "Good morning, everyone," he began, his voice grave as he took his seat at the head of the table. "I trust you all had a restful night."

Eliana winced at the remark. She had spent the night tossing and turning, unable to shake the feeling of unease that had settled over her since their encounter with the mysterious curse, and the coffee she had poured herself was the only thing keeping her awake right now. 

- "I trust you all are aware of the... troubling events which have been occurring lately." 

Everyone in the room nodded. They had all been appointed to at least one mission in the past few weeks, and were all aware of what was happening, with the worrying increased number of incidents involving cursed energy. 

- "Considering the gravity of the situation at hands, I have called back one of our most skilled sorcerers, who had been dispatched on missions across the world for the past few years. Eliana is one of the few sorcerers to be considered an S-grade, and her collaboration on this case will be extremely valuable." 

Eliana smiled shyly as a multitude of eyes now stared at her, a mix of curiosity and awe evident in their expressions.

- "Her and Satoru Gojo witnessed some... troubling behavior from a curse, while on a mission yesterday," Yaga continued. "Something he had never seen before, to be completely honest."

Eliana nodded, and after exchanging a glance with her white haired mission partner, she spoke up to the audience:

- "We were investigating up in the mountains in Yamanashi," she started. "From what Yaga had told us, there had been signs of curses activity around a temple there. But when we got there... The temple was nowhere to be seen. It had literally... vanished." 

Shoko frowned. 

- "You mean it was destroyed by the curse?" 

Eliana shook her head. 

- "There weren't any signs of destruction, really. No debris or rubbles. No literally, it just looked like it had disappeared out of thin air. The only thing we found was that bracelet on the ground..".

- "Are you sure you were at the right place? A temple can't just disappear like that without leaving some signs that it had been taken down," Mei Mei asked, as she raised an eyebrow. 

- "We ended up running into an S-Class curse there, so yes, it was the right place," Gojo replied firmly. 

- "Plus, I checked when we got back last night. It was the exact coordinates we had been given.  There is no doubt about that, we were at the right place, but the temple just... wasn't there anymore." 

- "That is indeed very odd," Nanami acknowledged from the back of the room. 

The man was leaning against the door frame, arms crossed, his expression a mixture of confusion and deep contemplation, as if he was himself trying to find a rational explanation to the situation. 

- "Anyways, what truly was troubling was that... curse. When we got there, there was no sign of cursed energy whatsoever. But then suddenly, that thing showed up, and we absolutely did not see it coming." 

- "You mean he bypassed Gojo's six eyes?" Shoko gasped in disbelief. "How... How is that even possible."

Gojo clenched his fist. Throughout his entire career, his senses had never betrayed him. Until now. 

Eliana sighed. 

- "We don't know how to explain it. But then... something even weirder happened." 

Everyone eagerly waited for the girl to continue speaking. What could possibly be more troubling than a curse bypassing a supposedly impassable ability? 

Eliana exchanged a glance with Gojo. 

- "Well... I don't even know how to explain it myself but-"

- "When the curse saw Eliana, his attitude completely shifted," Gojo explained, his eyes absent. "He was ready to fight, but then, when he noticed her presence, the curse said something along the lines of 'the plans have changed', and that he needed to communicate some informations with some curse users. And then he... vanished." 

Gojo's words hung in the air, everyone trying to process the situation in their head. 

- "Well, that for sure isn't like anything we've had to deal with so far," a blonde man said, from the front of the room. 

- "Him deciding not to engage in the fight and leave hastily to go communicate those 'informations' to some curse users is precisely what worries me," Yaga conceded, shaking his head. "It looks we're dealing with some kind of alliance or... organization of cursed energies." 

Eliana nodded. 

- "That's the conclusion we also reached on the way back last night," she confessed. "But that thing vanished before we could get any more informations."

The others simply nodded, or stared at the ground, lost in their thoughts, trying to make sense of the situation described. 

After a few seconds, Yaga's voice cut through the silence that had settled over the room, his tone firm and decisive. 

- "I will convene with the higher-ups to discuss our next steps," Yaga said, his voice steady. "I will appoint another meeting as soon as I have more informations. In the meantime, I expect all of you to remain extremely vigilant. You are all dismissed."

In silence, the sorcerers started to file out of the meeting room. 

- "So what now?" Eliana asked her white haired mission partner as they made their way out. 

- "Now..." the man replied, looking pensive. "We wait for more informations. And then... Well. We go take down that little nuisance who turned down the fight yesterday."