Chapter 10

The rest of the way up there unfolded in a tense silence, the weight of their unspoken conversation hanging heavy in the air. Eliana and Gojo moved with practiced efficiency, their movements coordinated yet distant, as if they were two strangers navigating the same path rather than old friends. 

It was almost night time when they finally reached their destination. But to their dismay, there was nothing there. No sign of the curse they had been sent to investigate. 

Eliana let out a frustrated grown and crossed her arms, visibly confused. 

 - "This can't be it," she muttered. "There's nothing here." 

Gojo's expression mirrored her own, a mixture of confusion and disappointment. 

- "But the reports said-"

- "I know what the reports said," Eliana interrupted, her tone sharp with frustration. She was still bitter about the conversation earlier, and it showed in her tone. 

The girl sat on a rock, shaking her head. 

- "I don't get it. There should be an old temple here, but the only thing I see is a bunch of stupid trees. And no signs of cursed spirits whatsoever."

- "Maybe we're not at the right place..." 

Gojo tried to make sense of the situation, but he was extremely confused as well. 

- "Or maybe-"

But before he could finish his sentence, Eliana's sharp intake of breath cut him off. She stood abruptly, her eyes wide with realization as she visibly stared at something on the ground. 

- "Gojo," she said, her voice trembling with urgency. "Look."

Gojo followed her gaze, his eyes widening as he realized what the girl was pointing at. There, on the hard ground, was a prayer bracelet, broken in half. 

They were at the right place, but the temple? Well, it simply looked like it had been completely wiped out, the only thing left being the object that laid there on the hard ground. It was like its very existence had been erased from the forest. As if it had never been there to start with. 

- "We're at the right place," the girl said, her voice shaky. "But the temple just isn't anymore." 

- "How can a temple just vanish like tha-"

But as he was about to finish his sentence, he froze, a sense of unease settling over. Something wasn't right, he could feel it in the air. 

- "Eliana," he said, his voice low with warning. 

-" I know. I feel it too," she said, her senses on high alert. 

They exchanged worried glances, and, without warning, a low, guttural growl echoed through the clearing. 

Gojo's lips curled into a sardonic smirk as he observed the advancing curse. It didn't look very threatening. Maybe a Grade 2, at most. 

- "Well, look what we have here," he quipped, his tone laced with sarcasm. "There he is! The curse we've been looking for. You're quite late to your own party, buddy." 

While the curse stood in front of them, Eliana couldn't understand how she wasn't able to feel it approaching. And neither could Gojo, even with his Six Eyes. And that, above all, was extremely worrying. But the white haired sorcerer didn't seem more bothered than that. 

But he was wrong, because she could feel that something as seriously off with this curse. 

- "Watch and learn," he told his partner. "Wouldn't want you getting in the way of my brilliance."