Third Step

...

...

...

Shinyu: "You fine?"

Shinyu was on duty, so I was with him as usual. We just finished killing the last wave, so we had some free time before the next one.

Cylob: "Not really. How did you notice?"

Shinyu: "Your eyebrows were furrowed."

Cylob: "I see..."

Shinyu: "...If something is bothering you, you can tell me, I'll listen."

...

Cylob: "...Yesterday was a demoralizing day for me."

Shinyu: "What happened?"

Cylob: "...I saw a young demi-human boy steal something from a shop. I followed him, and when I got close to him I could hear that he was talking about how much he hated humans. At first I wasn't sure what made him hate them so much, so I decided to talk to him. Turns out... he was just a broken boy. I'm not sure how exactly it happened, but he was left at a door step as a baby, where his adoptive human parents picked him up. But after growing up with them, one day they just... left him. At a random street no less. They said: "Here's some money. You can run around as much as you want and buy whatever you want. And don't worry, we'll find you no matter how far you run away". But they never found him. He was left all alone at the young age of 5. All he had was a small amount of money. After that, he had to learn how to survive by himself. He learned to steal food, pickpocket and various other skills to help him survive. Since humans are naturally richer, he had to deal with them more, which made him hate them. Other people's attitude towards human children with no home didn't help that either. His story, and my realization on how bad the demi-human prejudice is, made my heart sink to the bottom..."

I clutch my chest where my heart is supposed to be...

Heh, I don't even have a heart.

...

Shinyu: "Don't you think that you're worrying too much?"

Cylob: "I don't know..."

Shinyu: "Either way, you should first strive what you wanted to do first. You said that there was something specific that you're training for, right?"

Cylob: "Yes."

Shinyu: "Then you should first do that, and then - if you still want to - deal with this prejudice. You shouldn't worry about so many things at the same time."

I'm not worrying too much, I'm worrying about too many things, huh. That's one way to look at it.

Cylob: "This is this and that is that, huh."

Shinyu: "That's a weird way of saying it, but yeah! You should deal with problems one by one."

Cylob: "Thanks a lot dude. That really cleared up my mind."

I'll first deal with the main story and then try to see what I can do to get rid of the prejudice.

If it weren't for Shin-kun I would probably be overwhelmed by my worry...

"Sometimes I feel like I don't deserve you."

Shinyu: "What the hell are you saying?!"

Oops. I said that aloud.

Cylob: "But it's true. I haven't really done anything for you, and here you are easing my worries."

Shinyu: "You-?! *sigh* You have no idea how much you eased my worries either. So let's call it even."