[9] Encounter

The king was dismayed when the news arrived at dawn

The king was dismayed when the news arrived at dawn. Due to the assassin's bold appearance in the palace, several guards and even the king himself searched throughout the night around the capital and the nearby forest, hoping to catch the maiden before she could escape from the palace grounds.

"Nothing seems to go according to my wishes! Is this really how you work?" he exclaimed to Xavier's group, who had been patrolling all night.

Xavier remained silent and bowed his head. He no longer pays attention to the king's complaints due to extreme tiredness. Even Julio and Kat beside him didn't attempt to speak. They were also surprised by what was happening, especially since Lilith hadn't provided any information about her next move.

He was stunned when he saw a familiar figure, even in the darkness of the night. He could recognize her silhouette no matter how far she was from him. The length of her hair, the shape of her body, and even her posture and movements were ingrained in his memory.

Nevertheless, he still needed to speak with her to pass on new information that could help."Are you just going to stand there, Shanaia?" he exclaimed. "Come closer and make use of your power. I didn't release you from captivity just to be a decoration."

"I-I'm sorry, my dear king."

She hesitantly approached and moved closer to the king. Among the group of Knights of Cornelia, she was the quietest. She had long golden hair and piercing eyes. She was also the only child of the Baroña family and Kat's cousin. According to her, she possessed a fierce personality. Her tone wasn't welcoming, so he wasn't sure if it was true or if there was distance between them.

In the past few days, she often spent her time reading books that could enhance her powers. The population of those capable of using healing magic had dwindled due to the fear of persecution by some nobles.

They were the only ones capable of countering dark magic. Because of this, some tried to discreetly eliminate them. In the king's case, he wanted to make use of the maiden's healing abilities for his safety, especially now that there were attempts on his life.

Shanaia placed her hand on the king's bloodied arm, trembling slightly as she tended to his wound. She couldn't help but wonder what the three of them had endured inside the Zero Zone. She also refrained from asking for detailed accounts of what happened to them as a form of self-preservation.

Even though they were in the same group, she needed to be cautious in her actions and words. Not everyone around the palace could be trusted, especially when power and status were at stake.