[18] Betrayal

The young woman's eyes were bloodshot as she stared at him

The young woman's eyes were bloodshot as she stared at him. Xavier swallowed hard as he watched her. Her long black nails and arms were darkening up to her elbows. With each passing second, her hair gradually turned white. Her physical characteristics had changed drastically from what he was used to seeing. Perhaps this was the sign that she was slowly slipping away from him.

"I wouldn't have supported you if I knew this would happen to you, Lilith."

She laughed softly at what she heard. "As I told you, she can't hear you anymore because she's gone."

"What did you do to her?"

"Didn't you witness what happened? She's gone, killed by the king you all revere." Her dark hand became enveloped in black smoke, swirling slightly. "It's no wonder why her desire for revenge was so intense."

With a wave of her hand, a black light spread around them. Darkness gradually enveloped his surroundings, and he began to hear various voices.

"I can never forgive what he did to my family."

"Death is the only fitting punishment for him."

"If only my power were stronger, I would have killed the king myself."

"They have no right to be happy after taking my sibling from me."

"It's their fault I'm like this. What right do they have to be happy?"

"I shouldn't have let her do what she wanted."

"I will make sure to take revenge on them."

"They've belittled me for far too long."

He quickly grabbed his head at what he heard. Different voices, different cries. Some of them were familiar, including Katrina's voice and his own. Anger and sorrow dominated every sound he heard.

"Listen to the cries of the people around you. The suffering and desire for revenge of every individual in Cornelia. It's just right to draw strength from them. People like you give me power."

He gripped his weapon tightly as the voices faded away. "So, you just used Lilith's body as a vessel to absorb the negative energy around her."

A smile spread across her lips. "You're not as slow-witted as I thought."