[10] Secrets of the Palace

Lilith's eyebrows were furrowed as she crossed her arms

Lilith's eyebrows were furrowed as she crossed her arms. She glared at Xavier, but he remained calm. He just watched her while blowing on his hot tea.

"So, there are still some nobles imprisoned in the Zero Zone?" she asked in disbelief. "Markeus is mad to imprison those who do not favor his corrupt rule. He won't be able to use them without their powers. Magic doesn't work in that place."

"I didn't know there was such a place in the palace. I also don't know who or how many people are in the Zero Zone."

After two weeks, she and Xavier met again in the hidden passage of the church. She slumped into a chair and gently massaged her temples. With all the information he had given her, she couldn't handle the king's bold audacity to do such things. A nun entering their room caught her attention.  

"Take some," Then he placed some bread and a glass of hot tea.
"I have no appetite to eat with what I've learned. Markeus needs to be removed from his position."

"I will try to get more information from your childhood friends. All I know is that they were released from that place in exchange for the safety of their family left in the prison. If they do not obey and serve the King, their family will be killed."

She laughed sarcastically at what she heard. "There is no guarantee that Markeus will keep his word. He will trample those below him to gain enough power. Worst case scenario..." She paused, seeming to hesitate momentarily. "He might be using the castle's treasure for his gain."

"What do you mean?"

She took a deep breath. "According to Mother, there is a grimoire hidden in the palace. Only the king and queen can enter the room and have the power to remove or place magic around it. If Markeus had not been appointed to the palace with the help of the high nobles and church followers, he wouldn't have the authority to access it." Then she picked up the glass of tea in front of her. "Blessings are bestowed during the coronation night. And since he is the next heir to the throne, he controls everything. This is a palace secret, but due to the rumors spreading, it's also the reason why outsiders want to conquer the kingdom. Just like Fiorre."

Before she could drink the tea before her, her gaze shifted to the nun behind Xavier, carrying a plate with bread. She frowned and raised an eyebrow. It seems that he noticed it too and followed her glance. 

"I-I didn't mean to eavesdrop on your conversation, dear,"

"Maybe not. But I noticed you've been behind the door for a while before you decided to come in." She then gently sipped the tea she was holding.