[3] Butterfly effect

The king's jaw tightened upon learning the latest news about the attack on the nobles

The king's jaw tightened upon learning the latest news about the attack on the nobles. In the past two nights, two nobles had been slain by unknown assailants. He clenched his fist as he stood with arms crossed, staring out of the palace.

The air was chilly. From amidst thick clouds, the moon could be seen. Slowly, a faint light filled his chamber as the moonbeam hit. Since the disappearance of the Knights of Cornelia, it seemed that he had been receiving a series of bad news.

He began to walk out of his chamber. The vast hallway was quiet. There were few guards posted due to their shortage of manpower. His brows furrowed as he trod the dark path.

He descended the stairs to the lower part of the palace. Each fire hanging on every wall served as illumination in that area. It was dusty, and no light could penetrate beyond.

He encountered two guards at the passage. They promptly opened it for him. He heard the gentle clinking of chains, and faint sighs amidst the darkness. The two guards entered and began to light the torches around.

"How long will you defy me?"

He was confronted by the dusty and cluttered surroundings. Amid the darkness, he discerned familiar faces. Chained and dirty, their clothing worn out. They seemed like scared cats huddling in the corner, unwilling to meet his gaze.

"How long do you plan to give me a headache?" he uttered through gritted teeth. They remained silent. "If you won't help me, it's better if we end this all here. You're just adding more mess to the palace if you're of no use."

He grabbed the nearest one to him. He immediately knelt to their level, forcefully lifting them from their slump on the floor.

"M-Markeus, please! Not my mother!" cried a young lady. The woman choked back a cough. She held onto his hand tightly, the chain dragging across the floor audible.

 She held onto his hand tightly, the chain dragging across the floor audible

"Avery's family is gone. What more stubbornness are you going to show? Your lives end here. Your usefulness to the world lies only in helping me. If you won't comply, then we'll just have to deal with it." His hand sparkled slightly. The sound of electricity crackling could be heard.