[13] Inferno

Julio violently opened the door to Katrina's room

Julio violently opened the door to Katrina's room. She jumped in surprise at his sudden entrance, dropping the glass she was holding. He motioned for her to come over, still catching his breath.

"Come with me outside the palace. Something bad is happening."

"Aren't they done tormenting the prisoners yet?" she asked hesitantly. "I don't want to watch what's happening. It chills me to see what they're doing outside."

He shook his head and approached her, grabbing her arm. "The culprit we confronted months ago has appeared. She's outside, torturing your cousin."

Though confusion and bewilderment were evident, Katrina did not hesitate to follow Julio. They both left the room and began running out of the palace. Even before they got close to the stage, they could feel a heavy presence in the area. There was a hint of smoke that was starting to thicken.

When they arrived, Julio noticed that some of the prisoners who had been chained with Xavier were no longer there. He scanned the area and saw the fallen Xavier, Shanaia kneeling, and the mysterious woman holding a blade to Shanaia's neck.

"What is this feeling?" Katrina paused, looking at the scene below. "Is she the one we faced before? Why does her presence feel different now?"

"I don't understand either," Julio replied, "Or why she's helping Lord Xavier. Maybe it's Lord Xavier who is helping her."

"So it means, it's true that he betrayed us?" He shrugged and started walking again.

They both stopped near the somber king, watching what was happening below. ow that Xavier could no longer be relied upon, only the three of them were left to face the challenges of that moment. The king glanced at them, and they bowed in respect. He noticed Kat from the corner of his eye, aware that she still wasn't in good condition due to the trauma she recalled from seeing the people being tortured.

"Now that he has shown himself again, I hope you two won't disappoint me?" The king's gaze was sharp as he looked at him. "I don't need weaklings around me. If you can't take down that woman, it might be better for you to return to where you came from. It's no longer worth hiding your parents who are just as stubborn."

His jaw tightened at what he heard, and he bowed again. He noticed the trembling of his companion, which made him even more worried. He didn't respond to the king and just nodded slowly. What else could he say when even he wasn't sure if they could bring down the woman below? It was pointless to make a promise he wasn't sure he could keep.

He grabbed Katrina's arm and quickly pulled her away from the king. Her face seemed anxious, and at times she appeared dazed as they walked. When they turned the corner before descending the stairs, he gently pressed her against the wall and held her by both arms.