[12] Execution

Katrina took a deep breath as she watched the captured citizens being dragged by the guards

Katrina took a deep breath as she watched the captured citizens being dragged by the guards. She discreetly glanced at the imposing king while observing what was happening. The sun was high in the sky that morning, and she couldn't comprehend what was going on around her. It had been a week, and they still hadn't noticed the leader of their group.

She nudged Julio lightly on the side. "Do you know what's happening today?" she asked softly.They were currently standing on the second floor of the balcony, overlooking the vast expanse of the palace. There was a wide stage set up below, surrounded by guards.

"Secret."

She nudged him again, this time a bit harder, causing him to wince in pain. "When will you ever give me a straight answer?"

"Maybe if I did, you'd get excited." He teased. "I don't know, Kat. You know we're always together. What do I know about what the king's up to? You're always sticking to me; we're both clueless."

"Seriously? And now you're blaming me? Maybe because you're afraid to be alone, you keep following me around."

He stood straight before her and gently bumped his chest against hers. "Hey, Kat, maybe you forget I'm stronger than you. Just look at my body fit. You dare act tough when you're just a twig." He laughed at her.

"Release the traitors!" They both froze when the king spoke. She glared at her companion before straightening up.

Her eyes widened when she saw the captured man. Even the young man held onto the balcony railing tightly when he saw who was down below. They were both speechless and stunned by what they witnessed.

His clothing was torn, and it seemed like some blood had dried on it. There were few wounds, but she knew how intense his suffering must have been. His hands and feet were dirty as if lying on the filthy ground for days.

They overheard murmurs from the onlookers watching the execution. Most of them were children, elderly people, and a few nuns. Her heart raced when she saw Xavier's tired face as he was pushed to walk. He moved slowly as if he were struggling to stand.

Her hands began to tremble, and she started to shake. Her eyes quickly searched for their parents, hoping they were among the prisoners. The memories of their hardships in the Zero zone flooded her mind like rushing waters, especially the terrifying memories before they were sent out by the king in exchange for their family's safety.