[11] One bad move

The echoing cries filled the dark surroundings following the whip's crack against the floor

The echoing cries filled the dark surroundings following the whip's crack against the floor. Xavier jolted awake upon hearing the deafening screams beside him. He slowly opened his eyes, struggling against the blur, yet he noticed the figure of the man with his back turned.

He scanned his surroundings, trying to discern his location. His eyes widened as he saw several bodies sprawled in front of him, causing him to snap out of his daze immediately. He glanced upward slightly upon hearing the sound of chains above.

"Where am I?" he wondered, trying to free his arms from the chains.

"P-please, have mercy!" a woman begged not far away.

From the dark recesses, a blue light emerged, bringing clarity to the room. This illuminated the chamber, accompanied by the crackling of electricity and the clinking of chains. He gasped as he witnessed the man grasping onto a woman, electricity coursing around them. Her body convulsed as the electricity surged through her.

He was stunned as he watched the woman collapse, her body seemingly drained of color and life. He couldn't believe what he was witnessing. This was the sight of a magician drained of their mana or power, akin to a withered plant devoid of vigor.

Within every living being, mana is the wellspring of vitality, the source of strength, and the reservoir of resilience. If the mana disappears from a magician's system, so does their soul and life.

He felt a slight heaviness in the air, noticing energy flowing in one direction in various colors until it entered the ring worn by the man. If he wasn't mistaken, only a forbidden magician could absorb the mana of an individual.

The man slowly turned to him, and their eyes met. His mouth fell open as he realized who stood before him. The man grinned as he flexed his numb hand.

"You're finally awake, Lord Xavier," he approached. "You've been resting for quite a while."His fist clenched, and he glared at him. He only heard a soft chuckle before the blade of his weapon was pressed against his neck. He could do nothing but look up at him from his chained position, kneeling on the cold floor.

"You're just like those locked up in this place, trying to prove something to yourself even though you have nothing to show." He closed his eyes tightly as he felt the sharp edge against his neck. "I've asked you several times, but you still resist. Is her life more important to you than yours?"

He felt the heat in his neck and a trickle of blood. He had been imprisoned by the king for days due to accusations of treachery. He couldn't understand how Markeus found out about his meeting with the person attempting on their life. He remained silent and continued to feign innocence.