Part 7

Kelly woke up, and looked around, he wasn't in the forest, he was in a hospital, judging by the layout it was Med. tried to get up but was stopped by a hand. "easy there Severide." It was Herrmann. "You've been out for a couple of days." He said which started to freak Severide out. " easy there, the fire was put out by the rain. No one at 51 died, and Chief Boden took Truck and Squad out of service, so that people could recover." He explained.

"But if, Engine 51 is still in service and you're here, who's the Lieutenant. Taking your place?" Severide asked. Herrmann was the Lieutenant of Engine 51 and if he was here, that means that ether there is a relief Lieutenant, running Engine or someone is acting Lieutenant. If it was the second one he had a small idea of who.

"Cruz is the Acting Lieutenant, in fact he's taking the Lieutenants test, I'm going to recommend him, for the position. Also Casey is getting a promotion. He's going to be Battalion Chief Matthew Casey." Herrmann chuckled. " Firehouse 51, 20, 40 and 25. Are all going to be under his command. Battalion 29."

" where's his office going to be?" Severide asked. " the two offices are ours, and Boden has to Stay at 51, because it's the central Firehouse in the district." which is correct, the only other thing Severide could think of, is Casey would have to have his office at one of the other Firehouses which would suck.

" pretty sure he's going to take the blue office, since the girls aren't using it anymore." Herrmann replied. " also I talked to Mouch, he's thinking about Squad. Which is crazy, but he show me all of the paperwork forms. He's got all the training necessary to make Squad. "I'll call Stella."

After about 10 minutes Stella Kidd came through the door. " Kelly how are you? Dear god, you scared me half to death?" She said through the tears. Since Truck and Squad were out of service, she'd been working at Molly's to keep her mind off the fact that her Husband was found unconscious with some serious injuries. " also news, Truck 81 is getting a new candidate. Apparently he's a cousin of Will and Jay, Rafferty is joining Girls on Fire, because being a Firefighter is her dream job and Brett suggested it, Brett's back working on Ambo 61, and Caver is taking his time off. Training to be an Engineer." Stella lists. "In fact he already has his certificate, 2nd quickest in CFD history."

" so Caver wants to drive Truck 81, or is he doing it as a just incase thing." Kelly asked. Because if Mouch does in fact want to move to Squad, Truck will need a new engineer.

Two weeks later the whole of Firehouse 51 with the exception of Kelly was back to work, Casey officially got Promoted, and this is to be his first shift as Chief Casey. "Okay people listen up, we have a lot to discuss; first of all please welcome the newest member of Truck 81, Candidate James Halstead, give him the proper 51 greeting, second of all Sam Caver has gotten his certificate for driving." He said. 51 started to congratulate him, but then Casey put his hand up. " finally as Lieutenant Severide is still recovering, until a relief Lieutenant arrives, Joe Cruz is acting Lieutenant." He finished. " dismissed." He finished everyone with the exception of Brett left. Casey looked at her with a smile. " can I help you with something, Brett?"

" no, I'm just so happy for you Chief, honestly now I'm just waiting for the bell to go off to see you in action." Brett said.

"I agree with Brett." It was Boden. "you'll make a great Battalion Chief, I have faith in you."

Then the bell went off. " Ambulance 61, Engine 51, Squad 3, Truck 81 apartment fire at * address*"

" let's go" Casey said. In a matter of seconds everyone was suiting up.

"Halstead, stay near Lieutenant Kidd, I want you to learn from her." Casey ordered. He then looked at Halstead who nodded, they all got into the fire trucks and headed for the emergency.

Once they got to the location. They couldn't see any smoke, Casey looked around. "Okay, Engine 51 get some silver bullets, Truck and Squad evacuate the residences and search for the fire." Casey said. An apartment complex like this place has a lot of rooms, a kid probably pulled the fire alarm.

As Truck and Squad were evacuating the residence Cruz had an idea. " Kidd come in, I'll take Squad to the 4th floor and deal with the top 3 floors, and Truck deals with 1-3?"

" Copy, that Cruz, sending Mouch to assist." Kidd replied. If what Herrmann said was true. She wanted to give him a chance to Work with Squad 3. Caver look at her and shook his head.

On the 3rd floor Squad + Mouch were evacuating the people but then Mouch thought of something. " Chief, it's Mouch is it possible there is a basement in this place?" He asked.

Casey heard the question. " Can I have your attention please, can the owner of this place, please come here?" He shouted then a man early 30s stepped up. " sir, is there a basement in this place?"

"Yes, Chief it's an employee only area, you can reach it from the kitchen." The owner said. " I sent a kid down there about half an hour ago  haven't heard from him since.

Casey was pissed but he was going to keep it professional. "Lieutenant Kidd, we have a missing kid in the basement. You can access it from the kitchen, take Halstead and Kylie to investigate." He ordered.

"Copy that Chief." Stella said.

As Stella, Kylie and James made their way to the kitchen they couldn't see anything. So they got closer to basement entrance. upon getting to the door and opening it, they could see smoke. " Chief, It's Kidd I've located the fire, send Engine 51 in here with a hose line." Kidd said over the Radio.

"Kylie. Halstead mask up."
Stella, Kylie and James proceed to mask up, it's possible that the kid was in the basement. Upon masking up the three firefighters, entered the basement.

"Fire department, call out." Kidd shouted. Nothing so they continued to look around.

"Fire department, call out. Then she heard something. "Fire department. Call out." Then clear as day, she could hear banging from the a door. She then motioned Kylie and Halstead to the door. The three started to move towards the door but then the fire flared up.

" Lieutenant Kidd, I'm sending Engine to you, progress report." Casey said over the radio.

Kidd knew the fire was getting worse. " Chief, the fires getting bad, it just had a flair up. The missing kid is in a locked door." She replied. Then Halstead got to the door and mule kicked it open, the three firefighters went in and saw the kid, "let's get him out of here." Kidd ordered. Halstead picked up the kid bridal style and the three firefighters left the building.

Outside the building, Casey and ambulance 61 were waiting. " good job Truck." Casey complimented. Brett and Annabelle got the kid into the ambulance and drove off. "Attention firehouse 51, all of the civilians are encountered for. Everyone evacuate we're going defensive." Casey ordered. His first call was over now all was left was for Engine to put out the fire.