Part 10

"oh god, that's mine and Kelly's house."  That's all Casey needed to hear before rushing out to the app floor, everyone else with the exception of Halstead knew that the fire was at Kelly and Stella's house so everyone had their gear on and was ready to go.

It took about 3 minutes to get to Severide and Kidd's house. As soon as Casey got out of his vehicle, Kelly came to him. " Chief it was an attack. Someone smashed a window with a rock then fired a flaming arrow through it. I'm fine however." He said.

Casey smiled. " glad to hear it old friend." His and Severide's friendship was something else. " Engine 51 knock this fire out, Truck 81 stand down Kelly's not inside. Ambulance 61, just give him the once over to make sure he didn't get burned." Casey ordered. " you and Kidd are going to need a place to sleep. Come back to the station, and talk with Kidd, I think you two should move in with us."

" I'll think about it Chief." Severide replied. " for the record, I can't wait till I can come back to work,"

" come on Lieutenant, let's get you checked out." Brett said. " I think it's a good idea Matt, I'm all for it."

The rest of the day went by quickly to be honest, only a few calls for Ambulance 61, which Brett and Annabelle handled well. Kidd, Severide, Brett and Casey went back to Brett and Casey's place. As luck would happen they have a spare double bed, so they set it up in the spare bedroom. It was nice the two couples living together. Brett and Casey could help Kelly with his recovery and Kidd and Severide could help with Julia it was a win-win.

In fact that night Sylvie got up because she could hear Julia crying, but when she got to Julia's room, Stella was rocking her and singing "deep into the meadow." And Julia went right back to sleep. So Sylvie went back to sleep and told Matt what happened, they both agreed that Kelly and Stella would make great parents.

Also at the Cruz household, Joe was practising for the Lieutenants test, in fact he was so focused that he didn't notice Chloe was right behind him, until he turned around, which made him jump. " Chloe what the heck."  He exclaimed. " what's up, are you okay?" He asked.

Chloe just sighed. " I'm fine mi amor, it's just the nerves that come with loving a first responder." She said, "you look conflicted."

Cruz then took a deep breath. " I am, currently there's not a open Lieutenants spot within Battalion 29, so when I make Lieutenant I'll probably go into the floater pool or I get placed into a Lieutenant position in a different Battalion, currently there's open Lieutenant spot in Firehouse 32 which is in Battalion 32, Firehouse 17 , Firehouse 130, which is also apart of Battalion 32, then there's Firehouse 106 which is apart of District 6." Cruz inhaled.
"Basically I worried about where I will be placed, when I make Lieutenant."

Chloe just smiled and kisses Joe. " Enamorado, no matter where you go, you are going to be great, and people will respect Lieutenant Josef Cruz. You will be fine."
Chloe inhaled, she didn't realise the stress that could come with becoming a Lieutenant, all she could do was support her husband. Not matter what.

Meanwhile at the Boden Household, Wallace and Donna were dancing the night away, with Casey being Battalion Chief, Boden could very well have more time off to spend with his family; his wife his son and his step-son. " Donna I need some advice." He said. Donna motion for him to go on. " Cruz is taking the Lieutenants test at the end of the month, currently there is no openings at 51, which means he'll have to go elsewhere, being Deputy District Chief, he he's placed at a firehouse within District 4, I could still see him, but if he's placed within another District, we could never see him again."

" Wallace, you can't keep everyone at 51. Sometimes they need to spread their wings." Donna replied. She replied giving Boden a kiss on the cheeks.

One week later.

"Okay people listen up, Lieutenant Kelly Severide has been cleared for active duty. Welcome back Lieutenant." Casey said. " therefore Mouch your back on Truck 81. Lastly some slightly sad news. Annabelle Herrmann got in a car accident. She's okay. But while she's recovering Lyla Novak will be filling in, please make her feel welcome."

All of the firefighters except for Cruz left. " Hey Chief, could we talk about my placement once I make Lieutenant." Cruz asked.

But before Casey could answer the bell went off. " Ambulance 61, Squad 3. Person fallen down cliffs. *location*"

" looks like It'll have to wait Joe let's go." Casey said.

For the first time since the wildfire Lieutenant Severide got into his turnout gear and into Squad, as everyone was hearing to the emergency Kelly could feel the adrenaline rush. " Cruz you and me are heading down, the person could be injured and scared, so let's be prepared." He ordered.

" Copy that Lieutenant." Cruz replied.

Once everyone got to the emergency and got out of their vehicles Casey couldn't hear anyone calling for help. " Fire department, call out." He shouted.

Then 5 people rushed out with guns the person who seemed to be the leader spoke. "Anyone who tries to run dies." He said. Firing a warning shot at the ground. "Hand  over your radios now."

" so much for a normal first day back." Severide said.

To be continued.