26

We went back to my house, but it didn't take long for demonic monsters to appear. Paro had jumped into Neal's arms while Ajax and Nyx took care of the situation. Paro had gotten so spooked that she accidentally created a sonic boom that blasted through my ceiling. But, at least the demons are dead.

"They should be gone for now." Ajax stared at the gaping hole in the ceiling.

"I'll do a perimeter sweep." Nyx stated before leaving the house.

"You ok?" Neal asked Paro who nodded. "Cool." He fistbumped her.

"Don't worry. Nothing will hurt you." Ajax swung an arm around Paro and rubbed her arm. "I've got you."

"Thanks." She nuzzled against him.

"Can someone explain why we are hiding your identity from Nyx?" I questioned.

"I agree. She should know. It'll change her attitude." Ajax stated.

"You saw how hostile she was to me and I... I'll be a disappointment to her." Neal's shoulders slumped.

"Quite the contrary. She believes you to be competent which means she respects you." Ajax spoke.

Neal politely nodded, but said nothing more. Ajax gave us a final look before beckoning Paro to follow him. She nearly poked Neal's eye out before chasing after Ajax. Neal winced as he stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"Come on." I dragged him by the arm.

I led him to the kitchen and rummaged around for the med kit. I then pulled up his arm to show the nasty gash. I gagged as I began to clean it up. Neal held back a wince when I poured alcohol over the wound.

"Are you ok?" I worriedly asked. "I know you're naturally quiet, but you seem so sad."

"The longer we stay, the worse the consequences. The monsters are after you since you're no longer safely in the light realm."

"Hey." I stopped. "The light realm can only do so much. Sure, it serves as a deterrent for dark entities, but I have no regrets of journeying with you. I'm going to get you home, okay? I promise. It may take longer than we initially planned, but I'll get you there. Stop worrying and blaming yourself."

Neal softly smiled and nodded. I ruffled his hair before putting the final touches on the bandages. I had him hop off the counter and help me cook. I arched a brow since he knew his way around the kitchen.

"Huh, so you weren't pampered your entire life?" I smirked.

"We'd go to the kitchen and cook together. Gramps would always make us chili. Surprisingly that's literally our favorite dishes. You, me, and Yiayia all go crazy for that stuff." He laughed. "No one understands it."

"Tell me about it. I'm sure Paro hates it." He rapidly nodded at my statement.

"Plus, I liked it. It was soothing and gave me a break from the rigorous responsibilities and training."

"I'm still surprised I never introduced you to Zena. Now, she loves to cook. A not so secret chef."

"Like I said, we were kind of bared from leaving the realm. Safety concerns to a degree. And your friends never came to to the light realm really."

"What about Logan and Sam?"

"Oh, yeah." He chuckled. "Logan and Amara, remember?" I grinned since that meant those two were still together. "Sam was cool. I liked her. She's pretty though." He blushed when I raised a brow. "Not like that!" He turned even redder. "She's just pretty."