Chapter 15- You Did What?

Royal Pain

"Madeline, I told you that I have no time for your fantasies." Lily said turning to look out the window of the carriage. Madeline was trying to tell Lily and Clemen about her 'dream.' She hadn't even fully given up on the idea that it was a dream, but she was slowly forcing herself to believe it. Madeline huffed a sigh and turned to look out the window.

The rest of the ride was filled with listening to the conversations of Clemen and Lily.... quite strange as they acted like Madeline wasn't there. So Madeline just watched as they pasted over the bridge that led into their town.
--------

"We're here." Jerald said opening the door to the carriage. All three stepped out and began walked towards the house they had stopped in front of. "Oh I'm so glad you came! My daughter...she's been killed." Said a lady who ran from the house towards the King and Queen. Jerald pulled her down and said, "Ma'am calm down, where is her body?" The lady led the trio (and Jerald) through the house and to the upstairs of the small house. Madeline was pushed to the back of the group and when they stopped in front of the room where the corpse laid on the ground. "Oh dear." Lily said standing in front of Madeline to block her view.

"What? What's going on?" Madeline said now intrigued by Lily's comment. "What? Nothing just, you don't want to see." Clemen said slowly moving to hold Madeline in his arms, half holding her back. "Oh what a shame, that little girl didn't deserve this." Jerald said slowly moving out of the room and in the perfect spot to block Madeline's view. "You guys, I want to knoooow!" Madeline drew out her last word in a whine. "C'mon! Pleaseee!"

The adults made sure to block Madeline's view as they viewed the rest of the house. Everyone seemed to avoid contact with Madeline. Saying anything to her would give away what they were trying to hide from her. "Ok I get it, you all hate me and won't let me know." Madeline said shrugging and sitting in one of the chairs of the living room. "It is not that Madeline, we do not think you are well prepared to handle this kind of news." Lily said being the first to speak to her today. "Tell me. I handled mom and dad's I can handle anything. Who was killed?" Madeline said staring Lily right in the eyes.

"Melody."

-------------------
Madeline was silent. The rest of the the day. They all continued to view Melody's house but, Madeline said nothing. When she was asked a question all she did was nod or simply shake her head 'no.' Madeline felt that she had lost everything now. Melody and her parents were gone and Lily now has Clemen. Michael won't care so Madeline was by herself. She silently cried behind the rest of the group. She couldn't allow any of them to see her so, Madeline walked letting her tears hit the old wooden floors.

"Madeline."

Her head shot up, and she looked around. "Madeline." She heard again. Madeline has had enough of people whispering her name. She turned around to see- "Melody?" Madeline walked towards her at the end of the hall. "What? How? No. You are just in my head." Madeline said turning back around to catch up to the group. "No Mads. It's me, I'm alive." Melody said grabbing Madeline's arm to stop her. "I had to do this Mads. This is what she wanted me to do." Melody said looking ashamed.

Madeline looked back at her friend confused. "You did what?" Madeline said. "I-I pretended to be dead to join my real mother." Melody said standing a little straighter. Madeline scoffed and turned away. "Yeah I'm sure, thanks for telling me the truth 'Melody' " Madeline said doing air quotes with her fingers. "one of my closest friends lying to me and now you're dead, I-" Madeline stopped. She suddenly broke into a cold sweat. "I think I've actually lost it and I think I'm gon-" Madeline put her hand against the wall as she swayed back and forth. Holding her stomach, Madeline began to hyperventilate. Her eyes rolled back and Madeline's legs gave out and she crumpled to the floor.