Chapter 20- Refreshments

Royal Pain

Michael stopped. It was silent for what seemed like an eternity until Madeline pushed past him and opened the doors to her balcony. "Madeline come back! That's the second time you've said that. What does it mean?" Michael shouted at her back but all Madeline heard was the blood rushing in her ears. Madeline climbed down the vines on the side of the castle. She was still breathing heavily but that didn't stop her. Madeline stepped down on the lawn and looked over at the second Michael.

"What?" Madeline said glaring as she pushed past him too. Madeline was heading to the the vineyard, her favorite place to be when she's overwhelmed. Madeline walked into the the vineyard taking in the aroma of the grapes and blueberries. Madeline walked down the rows of fruit picking up a basket and picking her own berries. Madeline just wanted to be seven again. When she came down here almost everyday to be a farmer or just a village person.

Madeline took over the role of a farmer, just a farmer. She got lost in her own world she didn't hear her name being called from the entranceway of the vineyard. "Madeline!" Lily shouted as she walked towards the small shack where Madeline was sitting on the porch with her basket. Madeline looked up and smiled. "Care for a glass of grape-blueberry?" Lily looked confused. "Refreshments?" Madeline nodded. Lily shrugged and sat in the chair beside Madeline, accepting the glass.

"So what is going on with you? You seem to be going insane." Lily said looking out on the rows of grapes and blueberries seeing the sun slowly make it's way down and out of the sky. Madeline shrugged, would Lily really believe her now? No Madeline thought. "Just an over active imagination." Madeline said as she sipped her drink and turned away in hopes Lily bought it.

She didn't. But just to humor Madeline. Lily said, "Mmhhhmm." nodded and looked away in hopes that Madeline bought that. She didn't either. But both dropped the subject and spent the evening talking. Instead of heading back to the castle, the sisters headed into the shack and decided to stay the night. "Goodnight Madeline."

"Goodnight Lily."