Chapter 12- Back To Where We Started Sort Of

Royal Pain

"Whoa." The two said in sync. "This isn't what it was like last time." Michael said slowly exploring the large castle. "It doesn't, where's the Winter Land? Or the Wasteland?" Madeline asked brushing her fingers along the velvety curtains. "Winter? No it was only the wasteland." Michael said sitting in one of the chairs. "Yeah well you only saw it once and I know that there was in fact a Winter Land." Madeline said sitting in the chair beside him.

"No I don't really bel-" Michael said as Madeline hushed him. "Do you hear that? There are more people." She whispered. Behind the large wooden door, were two voices. Both very familiar. Madeline and Michael made their way to the door and pushed it open slightly, listening to the conversation.

"No my queen, they got back together. Their on to us and she found the door the other day. I don't think I can hold her off much longer. It's only a matter of time before-" The man's voice stopped. The door had been creaked when the Madeline and Michael put their ears against it to listen. There came a lady's voice. "Well fix it!" She slammed her hand down on the arm of her chair, "We can't have them finding out. Trust me, it will be Your down fall." She said and waved him away.

The man began towards the door and the kids sprang back and behind the large curtains. He exited the room, not stopping to glance behind him before leaving through the closet door. Madeline and Michael decided to leave and not say a word to one another. Missing a crucial part of the door's secret. The queen so to speak walked over to one of the statues in her room. Pulling the arm of one the wall behind her throne moved revealing a large selection of masks. She chose the one marked 'MELODY' and placed it on her face.

The queen shape-shifted into the 16 year old girl and began towards the exit of the closet and to the wedding reception.

--------

"Madeline, where have you been?" Melody said approaching the princess. "Where have I been? Where have you been? I've been looking for you all this time, it's OK now, me and Michael are all good." Madeline said smiling. Something flashed crossed Melody's face, something Madeline had never seen before. "Oh isn't that just great?" Melody grabbed Madeline's hands and squeezed them a little too tight. "Ow, OK thanks for that." Madeline said backing away from Melody. The two girls sat and caught up on the night's events. "And later I was thinking that we could check out that closet?" Madeline suggested grabbing another bite of her cupcake. "Madeline, aren't you a little old for fairy tales? I mean maybe it was a trick of the light, you know an illusion?" Melody said widening her eyes and waving her hands in a twinkling fashion.

"Um, I guess I am, But I think we both know what we saw, but if you say so." Madeline acted like she dropped the subject, but really she didn't. Melody nodded her head said her farewell and left the ballroom in a speedy fashion. After Michael had finished speaking to Clemen he came back over to Madeline. "So what'd I miss?" He asked grabbing his cupcake and taking a bite out of it. "Well Melody was acting pretty weird about the door, so I don't know what's up with her." Madeline said crossing her legs and sitting back in her chair. "Well," Michael said sitting forward, "you know what that means? We go to the door tonight and see what's going on." The two forged a plan and agreed to meet back in front of the door later that night.

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+__+

OOOHHHHH!!!! I'm so ready for this to go down!!! My goal for this story is possibly like twenty plus chapters..... I don't know if I can do it..... we'll see.

~JO